Help with Roundabouts

Hi Everyone,

I am currently learning to drive and the only thing i can't do is busy roundabouts (multi-lane), the issue is the number of cars that i need to process in little time. i know what i need to do, i just panic because there is so much to look at. My driving instructor and I were wondering if anybody has had a similar issue and has any tips to help?

Thanks,

Alisha xx

Parents
  • Hi Alisha, 

I don't have any concrete tips - for me it was all about practice- I struggled a lot to learn to drive and I found roundabouts very hard too. I was lucky that I could practice with my mum eventually, who knew me very well and knew how to push me enough to get me out of my comfort zone, but not too much to make me completely want to give up driving.

I think practice is what really helps- especially if you practice with someone that you feel comfortable with. Can you spend few sessions where you deliberately seek out roundabouts? Also it's ok to be cautious. It's always better to wait longer than necessary and be overly cautious than to have a crash in the roundabout. And with practice and the right encouragement (ie having someone with you that can help point out to you when it is safe to enter roundabout so you get a better feeling for it), I think you will get more and more confident. 

I had real doubts that I would learn to drive and people were telling my Mum when I was growing up that they thought I would never learn- but thanks to my Mum who helped me practice, I did learn to drive and I even passed my test on the first attempt! 

Good luck, I'm sure you will get the hang of it with practice. 

• Hi Alisha, 

I don't have any concrete tips - for me it was all about practice- I struggled a lot to learn to drive and I found roundabouts very hard too. I was lucky that I could practice with my mum eventually, who knew me very well and knew how to push me enough to get me out of my comfort zone, but not too much to make me completely want to give up driving.

I think practice is what really helps- especially if you practice with someone that you feel comfortable with. Can you spend few sessions where you deliberately seek out roundabouts? Also it's ok to be cautious. It's always better to wait longer than necessary and be overly cautious than to have a crash in the roundabout. And with practice and the right encouragement (ie having someone with you that can help point out to you when it is safe to enter roundabout so you get a better feeling for it), I think you will get more and more confident. 

I had real doubts that I would learn to drive and people were telling my Mum when I was growing up that they thought I would never learn- but thanks to my Mum who helped me practice, I did learn to drive and I even passed my test on the first attempt! 

Good luck, I'm sure you will get the hang of it with practice. 

Children
No Data