Birthdays

Does anyone else hate birthdays?

I had one yesterday. I detested everything about it. They make me feel anxious, and the lead up to it is horrible. I can’t express how they make me feel, but I fought back a meltdown in the morning, as I had work. It was a real struggle and I still feel bad today.

I don’t like people saying happy birthday, so tried to keep my head down. I don’t understand the point of birthdays, but I still feel conflicted about what I should be doing on the day. Society expected that you do certain things to celebrate. I don’t want to celebrate. But if I don’t do something to mark the occasion, I feel left out and dejected. I don’t know why.

I still get a little cake, and I do like receiving cards. If I don’t get one, it does upset me, because it’s not hard to do, and doesn’t take any effort.

Gifts aren’t important to me, and I get stressed when I’m asked what I’d like (because I’m hard to buy for). I don’t want anyone wasting money on me,  and to be honest, at this age I don’t need anything. 
As far as I can recall, I’ve been like this since a young child.  I’m 49 by the way.

Parents
  • Wow, this is a revelation! I never thought that not wanting to celebrate my birthday had anything to do with being on the spectrum. Now it all makes sense! (I don't have any reason for not wanting to celebrate - other than not liking parties. I just don't see any reason for doing so.)

• Wow, this is a revelation! I never thought that not wanting to celebrate my birthday had anything to do with being on the spectrum. Now it all makes sense! (I don't have any reason for not wanting to celebrate - other than not liking parties. I just don't see any reason for doing so.)

Children
No Data