Going on holiday

I have always struggled terribly with going on holiday, being away from my house and bed for a night is a huge trigger for me as is the change to my routine and going somewhere unfamiliar.

The thing is I am so interested in other countries and dream of travelling and seeing places like Germany and Switzerland and Holland that I have only read about in books.

My question is, are there any coping mechanisms any of you have found to help you go on holiday or go travelling? Just wondered if there might be some things I can do that can help with this as I really want to do it 

Parents
  • Hi Billy,

I think after years of traveling I now have this down to a fine art. First of all, it is in the detail .... which we are experts at! This is a massive strength for us in this area. Work out exactly what it is that causes you stress and then find the solution. For example, I know that if my comfort needs are compromised, it causes me massive stress. I don't like traveling to long without a break for refreshments, loo etc, so I plan to stop depending on where I am going (usually 2-3 hours of traveling). If you are in an airport, see if they have a 'quiet' area or pay for the lounge if able - it is a lot calmer with comfort and refreshments too). If you are staying in a hotel - look on TripAdvisor for review tips from travellers, you can use the search tool for specifics. I don't like road noise, so I enter that and it is a problem I will go elsewhere. You can also contact the property ahead and state that you have a disability, they are usually very accommodating. If you get this in writing and things change on arrival, it gives you some leverage which they have to correct . This has happened to me and again it has all been resolved well. Google Earth satellite is great for depicting the location too. If I stay at a letting accommodation, you can usually see pictures online, even on multiple sites. I usually take my own pillow and case, as comfort again is important to me. Take your own little comforts, it makes all the difference. Expect the unexpected, but if you have ways of reducing the stress, you will gain so many benefits of exploring the world. Get out there and enjoy life, it is so precious and gone all too soon :)

• Hi Billy,

I think after years of traveling I now have this down to a fine art. First of all, it is in the detail .... which we are experts at! This is a massive strength for us in this area. Work out exactly what it is that causes you stress and then find the solution. For example, I know that if my comfort needs are compromised, it causes me massive stress. I don't like traveling to long without a break for refreshments, loo etc, so I plan to stop depending on where I am going (usually 2-3 hours of traveling). If you are in an airport, see if they have a 'quiet' area or pay for the lounge if able - it is a lot calmer with comfort and refreshments too). If you are staying in a hotel - look on TripAdvisor for review tips from travellers, you can use the search tool for specifics. I don't like road noise, so I enter that and it is a problem I will go elsewhere. You can also contact the property ahead and state that you have a disability, they are usually very accommodating. If you get this in writing and things change on arrival, it gives you some leverage which they have to correct . This has happened to me and again it has all been resolved well. Google Earth satellite is great for depicting the location too. If I stay at a letting accommodation, you can usually see pictures online, even on multiple sites. I usually take my own pillow and case, as comfort again is important to me. Take your own little comforts, it makes all the difference. Expect the unexpected, but if you have ways of reducing the stress, you will gain so many benefits of exploring the world. Get out there and enjoy life, it is so precious and gone all too soon :)

Children