Going on holiday

I have always struggled terribly with going on holiday, being away from my house and bed for a night is a huge trigger for me as is the change to my routine and going somewhere unfamiliar.

The thing is I am so interested in other countries and dream of travelling and seeing places like Germany and Switzerland and Holland that I have only read about in books.

My question is, are there any coping mechanisms any of you have found to help you go on holiday or go travelling? Just wondered if there might be some things I can do that can help with this as I really want to do it 

Parents
  • I've not been abroad on holiday, similar reasons - anxieties of the whole trip, coping by myself in a foreign land, and not good at organising myself.  I never minded being away from home within the UK, just got on with it, but still had anxiety about what might happen, or how I would get back.  I prefer driving because I'm in control, and in my own space, whereas buses/trains/plans are really difficult and I have to manage the whole trip which is draining.

I have been abroad a couple of times for work reasons, and that was really though, in and the deep end stuff.

If its something you are driven to do then go for it, but you will have to manage yourself the whole trip so maybe get some practice in - try a trip in the UK first, get used to coping.  Its usually the thoughts and feels we don't manage well that make it all difficult.

• I've not been abroad on holiday, similar reasons - anxieties of the whole trip, coping by myself in a foreign land, and not good at organising myself.  I never minded being away from home within the UK, just got on with it, but still had anxiety about what might happen, or how I would get back.  I prefer driving because I'm in control, and in my own space, whereas buses/trains/plans are really difficult and I have to manage the whole trip which is draining.

I have been abroad a couple of times for work reasons, and that was really though, in and the deep end stuff.

If its something you are driven to do then go for it, but you will have to manage yourself the whole trip so maybe get some practice in - try a trip in the UK first, get used to coping.  Its usually the thoughts and feels we don't manage well that make it all difficult.

Children
  • I also find that having a car is better for me than public transport as there’s privacy, more control and more freedom when you drive. I learnt to drive very late in life (in my early thirties) and it took me ages to learn (i failed my test many times too as I was massively stressed by taking the test with someone I didn’t know in the car - I found that incredibly difficult) - but the car is massively important to me. It allows me to go to places either very early or very late so that we can visit places when they’re quiet and there aren’t too many people. Also so get to really rural quiet places I find I need a car to do that. 

That said I used to love going on trains and I really miss that. They’re massively expensive now though in the U.K. if you’re going long distance.