Told off at work

I am a teacher and there have been lots of changes at my school lately and I have a few meltdowns in the last few weeks. 

This morning I was upset and asked to speak to the acting head abd she was horrible. Told me I need to pull myself together and snap out of it. When I walk through the door I need to be in work mode. I need to pull myself together. She said either I am fit to work or not and I should go to my GP if I keep having these "episodes".

I felt completely belittled and like a child who had been told off. 

Parents
  • I feel your pain. I was a secondary school teacher for 15 years ago and I left 2 years ago.  I am actually really good at the teaching and I love it, I just couldn't cope with the rest and covid pressure were soooo hard.  I have found schools are not supportive of staff with any sort of mental health issues and in one school I was told the same as you.

I have worked in 4 schools and all were the same.  I wish that I could say something to reassure you but I can't.  I couldn't do it anymore. I don't enjoy working in an office but now that I have office experience I have found a more challenging, senior role that will be a lot better. I don't like the job anywhere near as much, but I am going to be able to do it until I am 67 and retire, unlike teaching.  And I am not completely exhausted by 4pm and am actually  having a bit of a personal life! 

I am not suggesting that you leave as it was VERY hard to get a job and adjust to office work.  I am just letting you know of my experience... And it does require financial planning in advance! 

Perhaps some time off may be wise, then you can think about what you do need and give the COVID situation a chance to calm down.  But to properly decompress you will need more than 2 weeks. In my exprience you will spend most of 2 weeks feeling guilty  and only then can you switch off and relax and  recover.  I strongly suggest contacting the union representative either way.

Xx

• I feel your pain. I was a secondary school teacher for 15 years ago and I left 2 years ago.  I am actually really good at the teaching and I love it, I just couldn't cope with the rest and covid pressure were soooo hard.  I have found schools are not supportive of staff with any sort of mental health issues and in one school I was told the same as you.

I have worked in 4 schools and all were the same.  I wish that I could say something to reassure you but I can't.  I couldn't do it anymore. I don't enjoy working in an office but now that I have office experience I have found a more challenging, senior role that will be a lot better. I don't like the job anywhere near as much, but I am going to be able to do it until I am 67 and retire, unlike teaching.  And I am not completely exhausted by 4pm and am actually  having a bit of a personal life! 

I am not suggesting that you leave as it was VERY hard to get a job and adjust to office work.  I am just letting you know of my experience... And it does require financial planning in advance! 

Perhaps some time off may be wise, then you can think about what you do need and give the COVID situation a chance to calm down.  But to properly decompress you will need more than 2 weeks. In my exprience you will spend most of 2 weeks feeling guilty  and only then can you switch off and relax and  recover.  I strongly suggest contacting the union representative either way.

Xx

Children
No Data