Sensory issues with sleep

Does anyone ellse tend to have an overactive brain before they go to bed? Like if your staying some where different like at a relative's house you can't sleep well unless it's your own bed. Other people's houses freak me out at night time. I can literally here everything from pipes creeking to floor boards to the wind outside. Then my over imagination kikcs in and thinks there must be somone there when reality I do t beleive in ghosts but old Victorian propperties really creep me out. I sleep fine in my house but when we stay at families houses not so much. 

Parents Reply Children
  • I used to do this all the time and it still happens occasionally if I am stressed/anxious.  Going over and over bad times and how I dealt with them. It is one of the things I hate the most, one’s brain not being able to let the past stay in the past.

• My brain does that too even if something Petty like an argument or something or if I made a twat of myself and embrased myself some how along with if people were mean to me too then it plays on my head in a loop but think that's more of an ADHD trait than an autistic trait as I have both maybe you do too?

• wish I could switch my brain off

I understand what you mean.  I often wish I could take a holiday from my mind.  Sleep helps but it's not healthy to do that all the time.  In my 20s when things were really tough, I used to sleep a lot to get respite from the thoughts.  These days I just immerse myself in music or a special interest. You?

• It's just annoying, wish I could switch my brain off but the thoughts go round and round.

• cringing horribly and hating myself.

That must be really hard to cope with.  I'd tell the thoughts to piss off.  I was playing the smallest violin today and phoning samaritans but I can also take the piss out of myself for being so woah is me.  Does that help you to do that?