Computer games

Hi,

I was recently diagnosed with ASD and am still coming to terms with it. I have some reading materials that I'll try and look at over the Christmas period but I can't guarantee being able to focus.

I wanted to understand if anyone else finds certain computer games a welcome break from the world, and that they are soothing? Most computer games are a sensory overload for me and even when they aren't I often get a headache after 30-60 min. There are a few which are nice and calm and help me when I feel overloaded. I like a game called Skyrim - it has wonderful repetitive soothing music and an open world, so you can just walk around and explore, and interact with people only when you want. The dialogue options are nice and simple too. I sometimes also play turn-based computer versions of board games. There are some available on Steam that are fun, like Gloomhaven. Am I alone in this? Does anyone else have this as a hobby / decompressing activity?

Hope you are all doing well.

Parents
  • I quite like videogames, even if they can overload my mind, and the reason is that I can focus on one thing only and forget about all the other stuff that forms a blurry unmanageable cloud in my mind.

However, I am a bit in two minds about it because it is a quick and easy way out and can get a bit addictive. Is anyone else having a similar experience?

• I quite like videogames, even if they can overload my mind, and the reason is that I can focus on one thing only and forget about all the other stuff that forms a blurry unmanageable cloud in my mind.

However, I am a bit in two minds about it because it is a quick and easy way out and can get a bit addictive. Is anyone else having a similar experience?

Children
  • Not currently but I've had the same feelings with this before. I get into games, find them a really good escape but it gets too much and like you say it becomes almost addictive and I then struggle to stop.

I like games and play sometimes but then I play too much so I don't do too much anymore.