Buying gifts for neurotypical people challenging?

Anyone else find buying gifts demands almost too much social imagination in order to be accomplished satisfactorily? 

Parents
  • I listened to a podcast around Christmas last year that talked about how the idea that people care so much about gifts being a surprise is actually a nonsense. When people rate how happy they are with a gift they've received, people who got something they specifically asked for score higher than other people. Even for a neurotypical person, it's a total lottery with surprise presents whether they get something that they actually do want, something that's not them at all or something that's kinda their thing but not quite.

With us people it's definitely harder to get into their head and guess what they might like, and personally I find it super stressful because I feel like I've failed as a human if they open it and it's clearly not something they dig. I pretty much just ask for links nowadays.

• I listened to a podcast around Christmas last year that talked about how the idea that people care so much about gifts being a surprise is actually a nonsense. When people rate how happy they are with a gift they've received, people who got something they specifically asked for score higher than other people. Even for a neurotypical person, it's a total lottery with surprise presents whether they get something that they actually do want, something that's not them at all or something that's kinda their thing but not quite.

With us people it's definitely harder to get into their head and guess what they might like, and personally I find it super stressful because I feel like I've failed as a human if they open it and it's clearly not something they dig. I pretty much just ask for links nowadays.

Children
No Data