Buying gifts for neurotypical people challenging?

Anyone else find buying gifts demands almost too much social imagination in order to be accomplished satisfactorily? 

Parents
  • Oh my word yes.  I absolutely hate buying gifts for people - I would much rather people just tell what they want.  It's also what I prefer to do - I absolutely hate surprises so would always prefer people to ask me what I'd like then just get that.  I know it seems a bit strange to NTs but what's the point in buying people things they don't want. To me it's just so straightforward - stick to the list!

• One thing I've learned about NTs...they don't do what they say they will do. And they don't mean what they say.

If they say they'll meet you at 10am in the bookshop...will they heck!! They'll meet you hours later somewhere else and be surprised that you turned up at the agreed time and place. They seem to think it's just a vague comment, not an arrangement.

My daughter's friend's dad once invited us to see their new dog and puppies. Wednesday at 4pm after school. So we turned up at 4pm on Wednesday after school. He was astounded. He said 'I didn't think you'd come along when we arranged!'

Why wouldn't we? What am I missing?

• One thing I've learned about NTs...they don't do what they say they will do. And they don't mean what they say.

If they say they'll meet you at 10am in the bookshop...will they heck!! They'll meet you hours later somewhere else and be surprised that you turned up at the agreed time and place. They seem to think it's just a vague comment, not an arrangement.

My daughter's friend's dad once invited us to see their new dog and puppies. Wednesday at 4pm after school. So we turned up at 4pm on Wednesday after school. He was astounded. He said 'I didn't think you'd come along when we arranged!'

Why wouldn't we? What am I missing?

Children