Reading between the lines

Has anyone ever tried to subtly suggest something to people without saying it outright? 

I’m always really conscious of what other people are trying to say, and trying to pick up on subtext. And I really worry that I’m going to miss it and take something on face value that wasn’t meant that way.

But when I try, and perhaps I’m not doing it right, they never seem to read between the lines at all. If I say it outright then I’m accused of being too blunt, rude or confrontational, but if I try and hint around it then no one seems to pick up on it at all. I’m not sure if I’m just being too subtle or whether people don’t bother if its not in their own interests. 

Any ideas?

Parents
  • Very common problem for people here.

Sarcasm!

Double meanings!

Idioms!

Metaphors!

A bloody mystery all of the above.  Help!

• What's weird is that I can get most of those things if I read or hear it in a book or film. But put me in a real life situation with it, and all that subtle subtext that people use when they say something but mean something totally different, and I'm lost. It's like in fiction all that stuff has a context, in reality you don't know when to expect it.

• I am the same and probably why I have only realized I am autistic very late in life.  I get all of those things in the abstract or when not directed at me.  However I often don't get when people direct sarcasm at me or are making fun of me and I am absolutely hopeless at reading between the lines of a conversation.

• I am the same and probably why I have only realized I am autistic very late in life.  I get all of those things in the abstract or when not directed at me.  However I often don't get when people direct sarcasm at me or are making fun of me and I am absolutely hopeless at reading between the lines of a conversation.

Children
No Data