Reading between the lines

Has anyone ever tried to subtly suggest something to people without saying it outright? 

I’m always really conscious of what other people are trying to say, and trying to pick up on subtext. And I really worry that I’m going to miss it and take something on face value that wasn’t meant that way.

But when I try, and perhaps I’m not doing it right, they never seem to read between the lines at all. If I say it outright then I’m accused of being too blunt, rude or confrontational, but if I try and hint around it then no one seems to pick up on it at all. I’m not sure if I’m just being too subtle or whether people don’t bother if its not in their own interests. 

Any ideas?

• Any gamers here remember a detective PC game called LA NOIRE  the idea was you were a cop in 1950's LA and you had to solve cases and get promoted.  Most of the cases involved talking to people and trying to judge if they were lying or hiding something.  The point of the game was to showcase the amazing (for the time) graphics of people.

Apparently most people found it ridiculously easy but I gave up because I was always just guessing what they person really meant.  Didn't think anything of it at the time and just moved on.  Now I know why I didn't have a clue!

• I get sarcasm but not the rest.

• I read this thing recently, it said 'life doesn't make sense, so we need fiction to make sense.' 

That is why books and films are easier to understand- because they've been consciously fashioned to do so. Real life doesn't make the slightest sense, it's random, that's why our autistic brains are struggling with it.

• Same here. I'd like to see what people suggest.

• I am the same and probably why I have only realized I am autistic very late in life.  I get all of those things in the abstract or when not directed at me.  However I often don't get when people direct sarcasm at me or are making fun of me and I am absolutely hopeless at reading between the lines of a conversation.

• same here, i was in special class through first 6 primary were teachers was shouting on us only and no teaching, yuo dumbs move etc nice

polish online and from library

english playing PC Games, like Fallout

• I lagged far behind the rest of my class at Comprehension in English. Alas, I don't have Batman's detective skills. But it clicked just in time for GCSE. 

Things like irony and idiosyncrasy; I discovered online. 

• From what I understand, the inability to communicate is why our brain type has been classified as Autistic. 

I took acting classes when younger and learned how to use different tools/skills when articulating. That only helped some. Then I learned a human default is to take offence. Then to flatten it to relay how a thing made me feel, or use the word feel to communicate perception.  Then to work how how to want to be received. How would I want someone to tell me a thing or a truth. Then how to express kindness and articulate a symmetry between the more fundamental core truths (everyone is worthwhile including me, everyone wants to feel included, etc.) then practical ways of using a little humour to deal with difficult matters… I could go on. 

Before I worked out the completely different brain types I used to write poetry about all this misunderstanding, including not being telepathic or reading between lines.  It’s a marker of the difference. Not better just different. The problem is, NTs are so used to being “read” or understood, they don’t realise some individuals spend their whole lives not ever feeling this. It’s hard to understand someone I don’t experience. Sigh. 

Now I’m older, when it matters, I just make the suggestion. I try (and don’t always succeed) to use the word “and” instead of but. “I hear you, and also how about we try X instead”. Or “I love how in the moment you are- it’s so you! And I might need some alone time today:)”. 

of course I’m not sure what your specifically trying to suggest, just running with the thinking around all of this!

• I was schooled in school theatre how to present myself , it's part of my masking now, I still do not understand it :P but can mimick certain ways of conducting myself.

like cocksure full of bravado

convincing, triggers them into supicious mode whenver you try to talk about something, useful to make jokes.

I cannot do it do convince them to believe in lie, because i would have to say that lie first. 

• Bless you. (Heavy sigh). Many of us have been there with that one.

Just prefix with a phrase with something like:"Please don't this this the wrong way, but.." or "I honestly mean no disrespect but..." then be honest like you should be anyway. The open minded will receive it as a gift. The undecided will ponder it. The stubborn might take offence. But hey! Life is too short to fart *** around 'reading between lines' . It's exhausting. Why try?

• I can pick up on things in films before others do. In real life there's a lot more to process at any given time.

• if you have alexithymia they can fool you everytime,. and tell you it meant something else, and you are not sure witch, and the same about you acting, 

though it never works like it should,

I say it, they find it offensive, ok my bad,

they say I find it's bad, they say I am making it up

• What's weird is that I can get most of those things if I read or hear it in a book or film. But put me in a real life situation with it, and all that subtle subtext that people use when they say something but mean something totally different, and I'm lost. It's like in fiction all that stuff has a context, in reality you don't know when to expect it.

• Very common problem for people here.

Sarcasm!

Double meanings!

Idioms!

Metaphors!

A bloody mystery all of the above.  Help!