Do you find "Your Autism" (NAS magazine) helpful?

Just asking because I mostly search in vain for anything useful in this publication.  Perhaps I'm not a typical atypical!

I'm just leafing through the winter edition and noticing that most of the articles relate to education, teenagers and,yes, one person nearing 30, but nothing generally for struggling adults and neurodivergent families where all of the members are already adults and coping with the effects of very late identification (my own eventual diagnosis was at age 55).

Are there any publications aimed at older people and families?  I'm so tired of drawing blanks, especially on subjects like severe breakdown, long term unemployment, chronic burnout/shutdown, "catatonia" (if this is indeed something separate from burnout), severe, long term withdrawal from society, poor personal hygiene (again in adults, especially where the easy options of understanding and accommodating sensory needs - which seems to help in children - hasn't proved so helpful for a very withdrawn young adult).  Something on navigating the benefits system on behalf of an adult who refuses to engage with the process would also be helpful. 

Are we somehow off the map here?  I feel rather lost and today this magazine has unfortunately reinforced that feeling.  :(    Am I on my own with this feeling?

• Yes it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that there is a vacuum when it comes to support for adults, particularly with High Functioning Autism.  I've seen nothing, really.  I'm all for supporting others whose need may be considerable and I'll happily contribute to that in whatever way I can; but it doesn/t seem right that there is nothing for aspergers / adults.  Perhaps some of us could get something organised?

• Yes, I look back over various family experiences (often quite disastrous) and don't want others to go through the same.  Or for more of the same within my own family.  So really I'm wanting to see articles on:-

- adult family relationships/dynamics and how to support each other 

- burnout/shutdown/catatonia, especially longer term and how to help family members in this situation (which really can lead to loss of work, social connections, ability to engage with services, doctors, the DWP etc)

- suicidality, WITHOUT using NHS services that just aren't autism friendly, if they're even able to identify autism at all

- parental coaching/therapy for those parents and carers struggling to support adults (who have capacity!) with severe issues due to a very late diagnosis

- elder care, incl. end of life care, esp. if this occurs in a hospital environment (at the time we didn't know that our loved one was autistic but, looking back, he almost certainly was, and the noise and lighting and general bustle around him made a bad situation feel much worse.  

• The magazine itself is good. I like it.

However, I am not happy with the way it is delivered.

It is not delivered in a plain envelope. It advertises the National Autistic Society all over the envelope/place.

• Well, I thought membership would be helpful, but, after a couple of years, I'm reconsidering.  :(

• Yes, I'm wondering whether I'm typical of their members as the mag seems to focus mainly on children and young adults, often with learning disabilities, who've received an early diagnosis.  The adverts for goods and services also reflect this.  So, as so very often in life, I feel more alone as I leaf through.  

I do have lots of books, but I'm looking for specific help and advice with long term burnout/breakdown, family dynamics (for ND families where all members are adults) and how to find services and help with DWP claims for someone who (due to burnout/withdrawal), will not engage or act on their own behalf.  

• Autistic elders is a neglected group generally, but there are some on Twitter talking about things - search using #AutisticElders

The magazine could do with an elders section, as there are a wide range of topics specific to elder autistic people that won't be covered by articles about children, or young adults.

I'm not aware of books or magazines either, but not really looked that hard.

You can discuss things here, so no need to feel too lost.

• No, you are not alone. All autistic children turn into autistic adults, but from the over-emphasis in publications, and in all other media, on children it is hardly believable that this fact is appreciated. Also, the problems of autistics with rather severe intellectual disability receive much more attention in the media than the sometimes very distressing problems of autistic people with less immediately obvious support needs. I think it is important for the difficulties of all autistics to be given coverage.  There are books aimed at adult autistics, but I haven't come across anything in magazine form.