Question about OU?

Hi, I'm thinking about studying at the open university in February and just wanted to know if anyone with autism had done the same.If so did you find the assignment's overwhelming. Have you managed to find a job after you had completed your studies with the OU

Would like to hear from anyone who has as I want to see whether it is worth my time 

I'm currently interested in studying health sciences  SmileThinking

Parents
  • I already had a first degree and then did two qualifications with the OU, whilst working. Back then, I knew I was dyslexic but had no idea I was also autistic.

I think my autism has actually been the back bone of my academic success; all that hyper focus and ability to marshal and analyse vast quantities of detail into order has to serve a purpose, right?

I was overwhelmed when I did my first degree by the demands of both study and social life. It's just so exhausting to manage. Also, so many tasks with overlapping deadlines. I did ok, but not as well as I could have done.

With the OU though, I had no social distractions and managed to hyper organise my time such that every last scrap of free time was devoted to my studies. I can get very fixated. My head was structuring essays while I was hoovering.

What I really liked about the OU approach was that there is generally only ONE assignment at a time as each study block leads logically to the next. No nasty task switching between assignments. I excelled with them.

So, it can certainly be done.

For anyone who does know they have ASD, the OU also have an excellent reputation for student support and then of course, there is much less social demand with them as most study is solitary.

Love, love, love the OU

Good luck and enjoy.

• I already had a first degree and then did two qualifications with the OU, whilst working. Back then, I knew I was dyslexic but had no idea I was also autistic.

I think my autism has actually been the back bone of my academic success; all that hyper focus and ability to marshal and analyse vast quantities of detail into order has to serve a purpose, right?

I was overwhelmed when I did my first degree by the demands of both study and social life. It's just so exhausting to manage. Also, so many tasks with overlapping deadlines. I did ok, but not as well as I could have done.

With the OU though, I had no social distractions and managed to hyper organise my time such that every last scrap of free time was devoted to my studies. I can get very fixated. My head was structuring essays while I was hoovering.

What I really liked about the OU approach was that there is generally only ONE assignment at a time as each study block leads logically to the next. No nasty task switching between assignments. I excelled with them.

So, it can certainly be done.

For anyone who does know they have ASD, the OU also have an excellent reputation for student support and then of course, there is much less social demand with them as most study is solitary.

Love, love, love the OU

Good luck and enjoy.

Children
  • Thanks for commenting on the post Smiley as I've been mainly worried about the assignments as I can focus very well but i start to get overwhelmed when there is too many things to do at once, Finding out there is only one assignment at a time does help.