Question about OU?

Hi, I'm thinking about studying at the open university in February and just wanted to know if anyone with autism had done the same.If so did you find the assignment's overwhelming. Have you managed to find a job after you had completed your studies with the OU

Would like to hear from anyone who has as I want to see whether it is worth my time 

I'm currently interested in studying health sciences  SmileThinking

• Are you thinking of working at the same time? I think it might depend on the course and the amount of credits you're doing. You should get several weeks and they will make it clear when they're due in, just that if you do get a bit behind or distracted then the date can then come up quite quickly. As long as you do early enough you should be fine and you may be able to ask for extra time if you need it for some of the assignments. I'm pretty sure there is only one assignment at a time on the part time course as long as its only one module. You should learn a lot on the course you should definitely do it if you want to. Just be careful with the timings and you'll be fine. What job are you hoping to get after the course? 

• Hi, are you going to be studying in February as well or are you still not sure of whether you are going to study with the open university? 

Smiley

• I’m hoping to do a degree in psychology with them but like you am concerned about this 

• Hi, I'm thinking of doing part time, do you get a long time to do the assignments or is there a short deadline? 

• Hi Chloe thats good news that you’re starting in February. I am doing an OU course at the moment, and I do find it can be a bit difficult to keep up with the assignments, as other people have said, if you start things early you should be fine. But sometimes the assignments can be a bit deceptive on how much there is to do. Are you doing full time or part time? 

• Good luck with it

• The quality of their materials is very high.  I loved every minute of the courses I did.  Enjoy :-)

• Hi, thanks for commenting after reading these comments I have decided to go ahead with the open university and I will be starting my health science course in February Grin

• I’m studying with the OU . I’m now on my second module, started the first in February. 
    I personally love studying with the OU.  You can fit the studying in with your life , perfect when your a working single mum . 
    You receive the course material before the start date so I use this time to get ahead , as I normally need longer to complete assignments than given. When I do assignments I break it up into tiny segments and aim to do 2 hours a day, so I don’t get overwhelmed, and if I don’t completely finish the assignments lest I have something I can send off. But as yet I’ve not sent an incomplete assignment. 

I say go for it. You got nothing to lose , you may hate it, but you don’t have to continue , or you could love it . 

• I say we need autistic doctors

imagine

you are like a sponge, you can absorb it all

only to find out that the hunger for more grew alongside it Smiley

under reasonable adjustments you could always ask to have one at a time

• Thanks for commenting on the post Smiley as I've been mainly worried about the assignments as I can focus very well but i start to get overwhelmed when there is too many things to do at once, Finding out there is only one assignment at a time does help. 

• I already had a first degree and then did two qualifications with the OU, whilst working. Back then, I knew I was dyslexic but had no idea I was also autistic.

I think my autism has actually been the back bone of my academic success; all that hyper focus and ability to marshal and analyse vast quantities of detail into order has to serve a purpose, right?

I was overwhelmed when I did my first degree by the demands of both study and social life. It's just so exhausting to manage. Also, so many tasks with overlapping deadlines. I did ok, but not as well as I could have done.

With the OU though, I had no social distractions and managed to hyper organise my time such that every last scrap of free time was devoted to my studies. I can get very fixated. My head was structuring essays while I was hoovering.

What I really liked about the OU approach was that there is generally only ONE assignment at a time as each study block leads logically to the next. No nasty task switching between assignments. I excelled with them.

So, it can certainly be done.

For anyone who does know they have ASD, the OU also have an excellent reputation for student support and then of course, there is much less social demand with them as most study is solitary.

Love, love, love the OU

Good luck and enjoy.

• i haven't studied with the OU but did a Masters at Coventry that was online apart form about 4 days.  I found the experience quite good.