Problems with work / Advice about Universal Credit and PIP

Hello,

I know I have posted about work problems on here before but I need some advice after today.

So today I had a complete breakdown about going to work. It has been bad for a while but today was the worst. I ended up curled up on the bathroom floor crying and screaming for about 20 minutes. Once I finally got in the car (my wife was driving) I was shaking uncontrollably and babbling hysterically, saying the same sentances over and over again really fast. I was scratching my hair and hitting my head with my hand. 

We had to give up and turn home.

First of all I wanted to ask if anyone else has had experiences like this about going to work?

Secondly, if I leave my job because of mental health problems and autism will it affect Universal Credit? We currently have a claim as my wife only works part time, not sure if we would get more or less if I was out of work with stress

Thirdly, how does PIP payments work? A friend of my wifes told me about it today, not sure if I would be eligable but my anxiety is so bad I am at the point where I pyshically cannot go to work

(Bear in mind I am still waiting for my official autism diagnosis. I have been on the waiting list for that since September, not long I know)

Any help with any of this I would be really grateful for 

Parents
  • Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I have been signed off work for 3 weeks by my doctor which has given me some breathing space. I have spoken to the UC people and they have said that I shouldnt be sanctioned if I cant return to work provided I can get my doctors fit note renewed. They also mentioned a capibility to work assessment which I need to look into.

Thank you for all your support, the advice has been really helpful. Anything else anyone knows about this stuff would really be appreciated too

• That's good, being signed off gives you a chance to recover and think about things when less stressed.  You might want to explore what is making you so anxious about work, and think about reasonable adjustments you might need, or whether working is too much for you.  Also, medication for the anxiety might help so worth thinking about and discussing with your GP.  You could also consider anxiety management, either through GP or self-help.  It can help to focus on the present, mindfulness, but autistic people can also get thought-loops which lock them into something, like worries - which sounds like what you may be experiencing, as I do.  Thought-loops are not something you can control, usually they come to end by themselves or an external event interrupts (someone talking to you, a noise, etc.).  Its a good time to explore how your mind works, when you are not stressed about work.

• That's good, being signed off gives you a chance to recover and think about things when less stressed.  You might want to explore what is making you so anxious about work, and think about reasonable adjustments you might need, or whether working is too much for you.  Also, medication for the anxiety might help so worth thinking about and discussing with your GP.  You could also consider anxiety management, either through GP or self-help.  It can help to focus on the present, mindfulness, but autistic people can also get thought-loops which lock them into something, like worries - which sounds like what you may be experiencing, as I do.  Thought-loops are not something you can control, usually they come to end by themselves or an external event interrupts (someone talking to you, a noise, etc.).  Its a good time to explore how your mind works, when you are not stressed about work.

Children
  • I get thought loops a lot, so its quite encouraging to hear someone else does too. 

I am getting support with anxiety management through Healthy Minds. Only had a few sessions but it has helped a bit so far and seems quite positive. Obviously its not autism specific though which is a drawback. 

I am looking into working from home. Obviously that would mean leaving my current job but I do a lot of freelance writing in my spare time and since ive been off work ive had more time to do that. I think long term that would be more manageable for me