Problems with work / Advice about Universal Credit and PIP

Hello,

I know I have posted about work problems on here before but I need some advice after today.

So today I had a complete breakdown about going to work. It has been bad for a while but today was the worst. I ended up curled up on the bathroom floor crying and screaming for about 20 minutes. Once I finally got in the car (my wife was driving) I was shaking uncontrollably and babbling hysterically, saying the same sentances over and over again really fast. I was scratching my hair and hitting my head with my hand. 

We had to give up and turn home.

First of all I wanted to ask if anyone else has had experiences like this about going to work?

Secondly, if I leave my job because of mental health problems and autism will it affect Universal Credit? We currently have a claim as my wife only works part time, not sure if we would get more or less if I was out of work with stress

Thirdly, how does PIP payments work? A friend of my wifes told me about it today, not sure if I would be eligable but my anxiety is so bad I am at the point where I pyshically cannot go to work

(Bear in mind I am still waiting for my official autism diagnosis. I have been on the waiting list for that since September, not long I know)

Any help with any of this I would be really grateful for 

• I have been signed off work since October. Diagnosed ADHD in November. Now awaiting medication....

I have had the OT phonecall and the guy was useless! Didnt have a clue what ADHD was (even though i emailed my diagnosis letter explaining it)or what suggestions to make going back to work better for me. The report said bugger all basically so now I have an upcoming return to work meeting to look at 'reasonable adjustments'.

I feel the same. The time off hasnt helped much just more time to zone out and wander around the house. I miss my job but at the same time terrified to go back and make any mistake. I thrive on routine and organisation. When u take that away I feel lost and unsure of everything. I barely leave my house, only to work. I would be ok at work but the second I stepped in my door, I would cry or be very aggitated trying to process my day of what the hell just happened! 

Contemplating whether or not to return to my job as it clearly overwhelms me. But the other option is what?? Do nothing?? I need an income to pay bills etc. Unless my dream job of being outdoors on my own exists...errr nope it doesnt. Jobs these days are fast paced,bright,shiny,noisy and too peopley x

• Hi Mrs G,

Im glad your meeting with HR went ok and hopefully you didnt feel too overwhelmed by it. 

Admin from home sounds like a good idea. I think a lot more jobs are looking for people to work from home atm so there may be a few openings. 

I totally understand how you feel. I have an anxiety attack every time I leave the house at the moment. Last week my wife left me in town by myself and I just felt so overwhelmed and anxious I had to go and sit in the library and read books till she came back. You are not alone

I am doing not too bad thank you. I am trying to focus on my writing which helps and just spending time with loved ones 

• Hi Billy, thank you so much for your reply. 

My meeting with HR went ok - I have to have an appointment with occupational therapy for them to give a 'medical perspective' on my request for reduced hours so we'll see how that goes.  

I'm rubbish with my hands unfortunately but I'm thinking about maybe an admin role for home. 

I will be off until well into the new year and then I'm hoping to feel strong enough to try to return to work to at least try if I can cope with it - if I breakdown again I'm going to leave and look for something else.  It's so hard though because I can't even leave the house alone at the minute.  I have to have my husband or one of my sons with me. 

How are you doing? 

• Thats ok, my wife worked in a supermarket and they treated her horrendously. 

I have had so many jobs too, at once stage I had 18 jobs in 2 years. I have done a lot of retail and it has always been really bad. I even worked in a refugee support centre for a while, and have been in education on and off for the last 9 years. I have done all sorts of things and never found anything I can cope with.

How did your HR meeting go? I cant even face reading emails from my work at the moment so I totally undestand how you feel. 

Are you any good at writing or making things with your hands? Either of those things you could do from home. Even training at a new skill. If you are on UC you may be able to get funding to do an adult college course where you can retrain with a trade and work for yourself. For instance, my other half trained as a beutician and worked for herself doing clients when she was able. 

Not sure if any of this helps 

• Thank you so much for your response and your advice about supermarket working - I have been wondering if I'd be able to cope with all of the people around me.

Yeah that's what I would really like to do - work from home.  I have another teams meeting with work (my head and HR) tomorrow and I'm just hoping I can do it without breaking down like last week.  I'm just not sure what I'll be able to do from home.  I've had so many different jobs over the years but after a short while it always just ends up too much for me and I end up leaving.

How are you feeling at the moment? 

• Yes I have my normal UC payments.

• Hi Mrs G,

You really described exactly how I feel. Part of me wants to go back but I feel if I do I will just have a complete breakdown again as soon as I try. Dealing with other adults, lots of changes at work, computer systems I dont understnad, the long journey, its all too much. I really get how you feel

Not sure if supermarkets are a good idea though, in my expereince retail treat people the worst of all. Ive worked in quite a few retail places and its been a horrible envioronment. 

Not sure but is there anything you could do from home? im looking into working from home as I do freelance writing so hoping to do just that. 

Maybe you could tutor from home or something like that? Happy to come up with some ideas with you 

• Thanks for that thats really helpful 

• Thanks for the warning. Do you still get your normal UC payments during those 3 months or are they stopped as well? 

• I get thought loops a lot, so its quite encouraging to hear someone else does too. 

I am getting support with anxiety management through Healthy Minds. Only had a few sessions but it has helped a bit so far and seems quite positive. Obviously its not autism specific though which is a drawback. 

I am looking into working from home. Obviously that would mean leaving my current job but I do a lot of freelance writing in my spare time and since ive been off work ive had more time to do that. I think long term that would be more manageable for me 

• Hi Billy

I thought that I would warn you as I have just had this issue. 

If you do get onto the limited capacity to work scheme then it is three FULL months until you get the extra payment.  Nobody told me this so I have just lost out on this extra payment by 2 days :-(.  

This is my first time through the system and it's a nightmare, so if I can help you I will try. 

• That's good news. :-) 

The capability assessment is what I was talking about so just be warned you don't get extra payments for 3 months and the application process takes a few weeks too but they backdate it to your first sicknote so put that into the UC system as soon as you can.  Also, make sure that the work coach refers you to the limited capacity to work scheme. Mine forgot and it added on an extra month for me.you should get a notice on your journal with a letter saying that you have been referred. If it is not there then write you work coach a note on the journal. 

This is the first time I have used the UC system so I know how stressful it is.  But do these 2 things and then try and recooperate and work on yourself as that will take a few weeks. 

• Hi Billy, yes I've actually been signed off since 24th September - I honestly don't know how I'll be able to go back to it.  I had a teams meeting with work last week and I completely broke down - I just couldn't stop crying.  I've asked for reduced hours so I only work mornings but I'm not sure that will be enough - I love working with kids but it's the rest of school that I struggle with - other adults, lots of change, lots of responsibility - I'm now thinking of a complete change - maybe going back to admin or just working in a supermarket a couple of days a week.  My ideal job would be to work completely alone but these jobs seem hard to come by.

• That's good, being signed off gives you a chance to recover and think about things when less stressed.  You might want to explore what is making you so anxious about work, and think about reasonable adjustments you might need, or whether working is too much for you.  Also, medication for the anxiety might help so worth thinking about and discussing with your GP.  You could also consider anxiety management, either through GP or self-help.  It can help to focus on the present, mindfulness, but autistic people can also get thought-loops which lock them into something, like worries - which sounds like what you may be experiencing, as I do.  Thought-loops are not something you can control, usually they come to end by themselves or an external event interrupts (someone talking to you, a noise, etc.).  Its a good time to explore how your mind works, when you are not stressed about work.

• Thank you Dan, I will do that 

• Thats exactly what happened to me. Im here for you, I know how horrible it is

I have got a doctors note now so thats given me a bit of time to look after mysefl. Have you managed to get one?

• Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your advice and support. I have been signed off work for 3 weeks by my doctor which has given me some breathing space. I have spoken to the UC people and they have said that I shouldnt be sanctioned if I cant return to work provided I can get my doctors fit note renewed. They also mentioned a capibility to work assessment which I need to look into.

Thank you for all your support, the advice has been really helpful. Anything else anyone knows about this stuff would really be appreciated too

• Oh no.  This sounds exactly like what I'm going through too.  I'm currently signed off and I don't see how I can go back to my job - I just can't stop crying, shaking etc thinking about it.  I would suggest getting a sick note from your GP to at least give you some thinking time. 

• DM me for some advice on methods of support available , cheers 

• Hi

I am so sorry that you feel like this.  If you are feeling this bad then I agree that getting a sick note for a few weeks would give you the space and time to recuperate and plan either a job move or a way to improve your well being and resilience. 

With regards to the universal credit, I was told 2 months ago by a job coach that if I try and a job and stay for a few months really showing them that I have tried, that there will be a review panel and as long as someone with mental health issues has really tried then they usually do not stop the payments.  But I cannot guarantee that, I can only tell you what they told me because I was concerned about being forced into a job that was inappropriate.  I did  have an autism diagnosis though.

I have not applied for PIP as I do not think that I qualify, but as I have other health issues as well as autism and ADHD I have qualified for the limited capacity to work scheme.  You get extra money each month and if you work you can also earn more before they take deductions off. But the extra money doesn't start until after 3 months so I hope to be in a job by then.  It took 6 weeks to get the assessed for the scheme but they backdate the start date to when they receive your form back. 

The limited capacity to work does mean that you aren't forced into applying for inappropriate jobs and you can do it slowly with the pressure off.  

Oh also I am so sorry but I was diagnosed about 6 months ago and the waiting time was just over 18 months.  But I did read someone in here who contacted the departed and said that they would come in for any last minute cancellation and they were assessed in 3-4 months.  Perhaps try that?