Benefits of diagnosis for older adults.

Hi everyone. I'm 44 years old and have never sought a diagnosis for ASD although it has been suggested to me at various point throughout my life (including by my older sister who has a son with Aspergers). I have what I describe as an "obsessive personality" - when I think of something I can't let it go until I do it or some other "shiny" thing comes along (and I definitely obsess). I don't really understand other people's emotions and have always known I was "different". I don't have friends but that's never bothered me, I'd rather be alone most of the time. It was only in recent years that I realised that I never make eye contact with people and instead watch their mouth when talking to them. I've been described as "honest to the point of tactlessness" and social situations make me very very uncomfortable.

I could keep going but that's not why I am posting. I've always just labelled myself as a "geek" and see it as a positive and I wanted to know, are there benefits to seeking a formal diagnosis at my age?

The negative side of it has always worried me - what if people look at me differently either at home or at work? It's always steered me away from finding out for sure.

Parents
  • I am 50 and awaiting diagnosis. If you do get diagnosed you don't have to share it, I will only share mine with close friends/family. I went to my GP in Jan 20 and wish I had done so before. Then followed 18 months of varying levels of hell and it broke me, still not out the other side. If I had been diagnosed and knew what my issues were I think I could have coped better with by breakdown. I would go down the route but think out how much you want to share?

• I am 50 and awaiting diagnosis. If you do get diagnosed you don't have to share it, I will only share mine with close friends/family. I went to my GP in Jan 20 and wish I had done so before. Then followed 18 months of varying levels of hell and it broke me, still not out the other side. If I had been diagnosed and knew what my issues were I think I could have coped better with by breakdown. I would go down the route but think out how much you want to share?

Children
No Data