Dual Diagnosis

Hello, 

I was diagnosed with Autism last year at 46. I now think I have ADHD as well but I'm wondering if that would've been picked up during the assessment for Autism? 

Does anyone else have a dual Diagnosis, or sought a diagnosis for ADHD after an autism diagnosis?

Thanks in advance 

Parents
  • Hi Sally, I do. I was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 months before my autism diagnosis  both this year at age 40.  Though I was on the waiting list for 2 years for both.

Adhd was not assessed at all and I don't think that they would consider other possibilities. The woman was very focused on asking questions to do with autism and nothing else.  It was actually a mental health pharmacist who noticed I had ADHD symptoms a few years ago and gave me a questionnaire.  She then referred me to the ADHD team.  I had just been referred to the autism team which were separate.

If you think thay you may have ADHD ask for a referral from your GP straight to the ADHD team. My sister has just done that as not going through the psychology team will speed the process up by a couple of years.  The wait for an NHS ADHD referral where I am is 18 months.

Honestly start the referral now as the wait is soooo long. 

• Hi Echo, 

Thank you.. It's around 18 months here too. I've decided to do it.

Thanks again. 

• Welcome home!

By the way, Sally Cinnamon by the Stone Roses is my ringtone. 

• Thank you Desmond!

You have great taste :) 

Reply Children
No Data