Dual Diagnosis

Hello, 

I was diagnosed with Autism last year at 46. I now think I have ADHD as well but I'm wondering if that would've been picked up during the assessment for Autism? 

Does anyone else have a dual Diagnosis, or sought a diagnosis for ADHD after an autism diagnosis?

Thanks in advance 

• Thank you Desmond!

You have great taste :) 

• Welcome home!

By the way, Sally Cinnamon by the Stone Roses is my ringtone. 

• Hi Echo, 

Thank you.. It's around 18 months here too. I've decided to do it.

Thanks again. 

• Hi Sally, I do. I was diagnosed with ADHD about 2 months before my autism diagnosis  both this year at age 40.  Though I was on the waiting list for 2 years for both.

Adhd was not assessed at all and I don't think that they would consider other possibilities. The woman was very focused on asking questions to do with autism and nothing else.  It was actually a mental health pharmacist who noticed I had ADHD symptoms a few years ago and gave me a questionnaire.  She then referred me to the ADHD team.  I had just been referred to the autism team which were separate.

If you think thay you may have ADHD ask for a referral from your GP straight to the ADHD team. My sister has just done that as not going through the psychology team will speed the process up by a couple of years.  The wait for an NHS ADHD referral where I am is 18 months.

Honestly start the referral now as the wait is soooo long. 

• Cheers Slight smile

Due to regional politics/economics and covid my wait for ASD diagnosis ended up being 3 years, give or take.

I kept putting off asking for ADHD referral because I kept getting distracted, hahaha. But if I remember correctly, got around to it at the beginning of September.

(ASD diagnosis received in May and finalised in July this year)

My ASD assessor said it would be about a 3 month wait for ADHD appointments, so this week seems about right. Assuming it is an ADHD assessment of course...

Actually, my original ASD wait was 18 months, until things happened. I was going to ask for ADHD about half way through my wait, but when I realised it would be separate I thought "sod it, I'm not going to bother if I have to wait another 2 years or so"

Annoyingly, if I lived just a couple of miles away, in the district I actually work, I would be able to get ASD and ADHD assessment by a single team. 

• Yeah it's a seperate service that diagnoses where I live too.. It's an 18 month wait to be seen.

Good luck with your appointment this week! Blush

• In my area the neurodevelopmental service diagnoses autism, and the mental health service (or whatever they call it) diagnoses ADHD, so I couldn't get diagnosed at the same time.

I've always had difficulties with impulsivity, attention, motivation etc so I wasn't too surprised when I was told I display cardinal ADHD traits. I subsequently sought a referral for ADHD and I have an appointment this week.

Problem is, I don't really know what the appointment is for. When they called to arrange it they said it was to discuss my medication. I don't have any medication, haven't been prescribed any, and haven't been diagnosed with anything that requires medication, yet. Hahaha.

So I'm hoping this week's appointment will be some kind of ADHD assessment Slight smile

• Doesn't work for me but that's not say it won't for you. Resperadone is given to ease anxiety but its strong and really spaces you out like being stoned but then makes me paranoid so I got off it. I don't use any drug's. 

• Hi,

Can I ask if you have tried any medication and if it worked?

That's the only reason I am thinking of getting a diagnosis really, as i don't think I would get any support otherwise.

Thanks 

• Hi Aidie,

I find the ADHD more detrimental too. Assessment waiting time is around 18 months so I am thinking of asking for a referral now. 

• Good luck with it that's all I can say. I'm the same and it's a real head f@ck. Fully assesed with both here. If your wondering your dipressed all the time it's due to lacking in dopimine.

• i was diagnosed with autism just like you,  and after watching a video on ADHD I realised that I may have ADHD as well. So at moment I am "self" diagnosed with ADHD until COVID is over.

my main issue is being distracted by things and while in conversions going off on wild tangents and diversions. The distractions can stop me working in the morning and affect my entire working day.

I find my ADHD is more detrimental at times than my autism

so i will be watching this discussion with interest