Do those of you on the spectrum fear the future due to our disability with ASD or is it just me.

Just find the future looks so bleak at times I'm lucky as still live my parents I'm not high functioning and I'm just ASD. Struggle with understanding things like bills and budgeting I guess along with getting work. My disability isn't visible or one you can here so it's hard to exsplain it to regular people and get any understanding from them. Is there support you can get for when your parents eventually pass. There not going anywhere anytime soon luckily as there only in there 60's but I almost feel like I wouldn't know how to survive or cope without them. Suffer baddly from anxiety don't go out because of it that and I don't have ideal social skills so usually end up offending people not on purpose but because I can come across as as a bit blunt and opinated but the future genuinely terrifies me.

Parents
  • There is a two tier system for Autistic adults I'm afraid although many autistic adults born between 1940 and 1995 will be fearful of the future because depending on where you live, there's really no support out there!

Group 1 do not qualify for PIP/DLA, will be currently receiving Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance + Work Activity Group or Universal Credit equivalent, don't have a free travel pass so will be paying for everywhere they go, have not been able to find employment due to diagnosis or had very few jobs and may live on their own.

There's no support:

• to help you get out and about without anxiety pinning you down all the time.
    • to assist you with solving any problems with bills (if you live on your own).
    • to help you locate autism friendly employers.
    • trying to find employment with those particular employers,.
    • to dealing with DWP and Jobcentre Staff who do not believe you are disabled and assume you are a lazy, scrounging and workshy individual.

The second group of autistic adults fair much better than the first. If you have a learning disability/difficulty, currently get PIP/DLA and you are in the support group of ESA with a free travel pass, which enables you to do whatever you wish and live however you want without fear of being penalised or sanctioned by the DWP/Jobcentre Plus staff! 

I honestly do believe this current system is unfair because we are all autistic, therefore we should all be in the one group and working together to better our own future as well as the future for autistic children and adults after we're all gone. I really dispair!

• There is a two tier system for Autistic adults I'm afraid although many autistic adults born between 1940 and 1995 will be fearful of the future because depending on where you live, there's really no support out there!

Where is your evidence for this? I was born in the 70s, but none of your assertions are true for me (apart from the one about living on my own).  But living on my own is a choice, not a result of my autism. I haven't met another human being who I want to live with and so I’d rather live on my own and be responsible for my own happiness than live with someone for the sake of it and who makes me feel unhappy. I think we shape what happens to us through our outlooks on life and the choices we make. Often the most toxic people in our lives can be ourselves.

Where is your evidence for this? I was born in the 70s, but none of your assertions are true for me (apart from the one about living on my own).  But living on my own is a choice, not a result of my autism. I haven't met another human being who I want to live with and so I’d rather live on my own and be responsible for my own happiness than live with someone for the sake of it and who makes me feel unhappy. I think we shape what happens to us through our outlooks on life and the choices we make. Often the most toxic people in our lives can be ourselves.

Children
No Data