Melanie Sykes have just been diagnosed with autism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59352983

Melanie Sykes has just been diagnosed as being autistic 

She like many here remained undiagnosed until later in life. 

very positive article

Parents Reply Children
  • I think this might become part of the TV programme she was making in relation to her son's autism when she got her own diagnosis. I am a brilliant communicator in my job. But in other areas of my life I struggle with communication. It might not be so obvious to others, but others' reactions or my own frustration of not being able to get across what I need or mean can make it difficult. We can have a spiky profile.

• Are you basing this on her job? 

Based on stereotypes of autism, I shouldn't be able to do my job either, as my job requires a lot of empathy and people skills. Something Melanie said on Loose Women really resonated with me actually, when she said people are her interest. I've said this many times that people are a fixation for me, especially meeting people (I get bored once I know them well).

If you question her diagnosis then you are questioning a lot of us. My difficulties are often very internalised, nobody ever sees my struggles until I'm approaching meltdown or shutdown. Even that is usually private at home. 

Referring to people as high or low functioning is pretty outdated too these days. Even "high functioning" autistic people have support needs. Just because you cannot relate them to your non-verbal child doesn't mean that they don't exist. 

• Masking is a thing... and she has spoken about a few of her symptoms. 

I don't think professionals diagnose people for the fun of it.

There may be a lot of people pushing for a diagnosis, but I find it hard to believe that there are people out there with ASD that don't even get diagnosed, but there are people without who DO?

I also think people with both low support needs AND high support needs require awareness.

There are people who hold similar views to you who think that you cant possibly be autistic if you dont look or act a certain way. I have trouble opening up to people about it since I don't need lots of support. It doesn't mean I don't struggle IMMENSELY in private and in my own head, I am just very good at masking and was taught to act a certain way when I was younger because i presented as 'different'.

There are also people out there who, like you have mentioned, only want to listen to autistic people who are like Mel, for example. Which is also a problem for the community.

I think the main thing is autism is NOT one size fits all. Not all of us are the same of have the same support needs, struggle-levels, etc. Doesn't mean we aren't autistic.

With all due respect, you don't know her personally. You only see what she chooses to put out into the open.