To undiagnosed adults or those diagnosed in adulthood: How did you realize you might be autistic?

Why did you begin to research/consider autism in the first place? What made you want to get tested?

Parents
  • I am 52 and only realized about 2.5 years ago. I had some bad periods in my life but I struggled through them. That was the 1980's and 90's and I was never really given any alternative by my parents but to have a normal life. Having a job, house and being solvent were just part of what I thought I was supposed to do no matter what. It was in 2019 that I started to get much more anxious and depressed about everything and I went online and started to look at my symptons. If the internet existed in the 80's I would have probably been diagnosed then but I was very average at school and not disruptive so was never considered diffrent. 

Although I will get a full diagnosis within 6 months, what ever the outcome I am a changed person. I want out of the rat race, in the next 5 years my wife and I will sell the house and take the money, quit our jobs and go and live in a mobile home far away from London. Then get a mundane job and spend a couple of months a year in Tenerife. 

• I am 52 and only realized about 2.5 years ago. I had some bad periods in my life but I struggled through them. That was the 1980's and 90's and I was never really given any alternative by my parents but to have a normal life. Having a job, house and being solvent were just part of what I thought I was supposed to do no matter what. It was in 2019 that I started to get much more anxious and depressed about everything and I went online and started to look at my symptons. If the internet existed in the 80's I would have probably been diagnosed then but I was very average at school and not disruptive so was never considered diffrent. 

Although I will get a full diagnosis within 6 months, what ever the outcome I am a changed person. I want out of the rat race, in the next 5 years my wife and I will sell the house and take the money, quit our jobs and go and live in a mobile home far away from London. Then get a mundane job and spend a couple of months a year in Tenerife. 

Children
No Data