To undiagnosed adults or those diagnosed in adulthood: How did you realize you might be autistic?

Why did you begin to research/consider autism in the first place? What made you want to get tested?

Parents
  • I started reading about it as my toddler was displaying traits. On this forum, a mum was very sad because her child had been diagnosed, and a fellow poster, autistic herself, said there was nothing to be sad about and directed her to one of Dr Luke Beardon’s books (the one about children).

I read it, and because it’s about the internal experience of being autistic in childhood, there it was, my own childhood!

I then joined the autistic community on Instagram and Facebook, and connected with people who were like me, and decidedto get a private diagnosis, which I’ve received as a 40-something old woman.

• I started reading about it as my toddler was displaying traits. On this forum, a mum was very sad because her child had been diagnosed, and a fellow poster, autistic herself, said there was nothing to be sad about and directed her to one of Dr Luke Beardon’s books (the one about children).

I read it, and because it’s about the internal experience of being autistic in childhood, there it was, my own childhood!

I then joined the autistic community on Instagram and Facebook, and connected with people who were like me, and decidedto get a private diagnosis, which I’ve received as a 40-something old woman.

Children
No Data