To undiagnosed adults or those diagnosed in adulthood: How did you realize you might be autistic?

Why did you begin to research/consider autism in the first place? What made you want to get tested?

Parents
  • Awaiting my daughters autism assessment appointment, and I thought, how did we get here? Why didn’t I realise sooner? I’m a bad mum, kept telling her she was fine, she can feel this way or that warm and it’s normal because I was exactly the same…. And I asked myself, so if we’re alike, how come she’s probably Autistic and I’m not? “Thunderbolt moment”. Instantly realised I was as well. (Didn’t go down too well!). Put it out of my mind as it was too much to handle, and had a big burnout almost a year later Neutral face

• Awaiting my daughters autism assessment appointment, and I thought, how did we get here? Why didn’t I realise sooner? I’m a bad mum, kept telling her she was fine, she can feel this way or that warm and it’s normal because I was exactly the same…. And I asked myself, so if we’re alike, how come she’s probably Autistic and I’m not? “Thunderbolt moment”. Instantly realised I was as well. (Didn’t go down too well!). Put it out of my mind as it was too much to handle, and had a big burnout almost a year later Neutral face

Children
No Data