Morning anxiety in adults

I was just wondering what people's experience of this is since I can't really find much online or its about children. Often I can get really bad nausea in the morning and I know it's anxiety and nothing physical because I don't usually get it when I'm off work. I noticed this morning how I woke up about 15 mins before my alarm but when it went off that's when the anxious feelings in my stomach started. I've also noticed I can have these feelings even if I am expecting a good day in work. (I.e. I haven't been worrying or even thinking about work).  I've noticed it slightly sometimes before going away. I have had periods where I haven't had this however. It does seem to be worse at the start of term after the summer hols. Also I used to be like this before school as a child. I'm wondering if it's just general uncertainty about a new day ahead (but not always worry) as it subsides once I get in the car and I'm at work. I was also wondering if it's discomfort about changing from one state to another. (Sleep to wakefulness) I always find waking and getting up difficult especially if it's dictated to me by having to go to work or an appointment for example.

I was wondering what other people's experiences are. Thanks. 

• I think you're right. I just get confused when it's for no apparent reason. I do look less for reasons these days. It's just there seems to be a pattern in the mornings.

• I wish my anxiety was confined to mornings. It begins whenever I'm expected to interact with someone or be some place other than home. I've learned over time to let it be and carry on. I think it's a burden that we auti-nauts have to all shoulder.

• No they don't. But I do think it's common. It's not a purely AS "thing"  but I just wondered how it affected people on the spectrum and if it was more common.

• Yes I think I fall into my natural circadian rythym in the hols. Then it takes time to readjust when term starts. Our circadian rythym are built into us. It's unfortunate if you're naturally a night owl but have to get up early for work.

• Yes I didn't have it working from home....or if I did it wasn't as noticeable. Definitely being in control of my own environment and fewer general uncertainties about the day helped.

It's interesting when you say about masking till you get home. I mentioned the physical anxiety to my friend yesterday. She feels like this at the moment as going through a bad time. I told her I felt like that most days regardless and she was like "oh no!" but I just plough on. Also, no one wpuld know i felt that way. I think for people who don't get it regularly, when they do for a specific reason, they know they don't feel right. Whereas for me I just carry on with my day.

• Yes I've heard of these. I have blackout curtains because it's too bright outside at night. I woukd prefer to wake up more naturally though. Those alarms are quite expensive last time I looked but might look again.

• Yes I am, of adults. But ive had this all my life. I think it was less so when I worked in retail. I remember being like this at uni though and when I did an office job. I'm off for half term now but still felt it a bit this morning. I've never really thought of it about "having to deal with social situations and masking" because I only became aware of that a few years ago. But ive always had these sensations to a certain extent. I've never rang in sick because of it though, it's just a "normal" part of my life I guess.

• I really struggled to wake up until I found a sunrise alarm clock that wakes you up gradually with light and then if you would like a peaceful sound. Mine is a river. Maybe this could help you?

• Hi,

I have had this all my working life. My alarm goes off at 6am and I need to leave for work at 7am but I cant physically get up till at least 6,50 every morning. Mentally the thought of getting up, having the sensations of gettting washed and dressed and the change from being at home to being at work where I will have to deal with social situations and mask is just simply too much for me. Sometiems I have had to call in sick or got up so late I have missed the bus to work becuase of it.

Just wondered, since you mentioned term time and summer hols are you a teacher too? 

• Hiya I've had morning anxiety all my life when going to do something where I'm uncertain what's going to happen or for example going into a work/classroom environment.  I've noticed this has subdued quite alit when working from home and or going on holiday as these situations are more in my control.  I've dealt with the anxious situations by masking it until I get home at night then retreating to my room which is a quiet space

• u may have been imprinted ---- probably from school days.

i was psychoanalysed about severe anxiety at exam time for my kids 

turned out i was revisiting my exam anxiety from my school days.

my partner took over all exam time stuff 

In the extreme, older times :   there is a syndrome called "Monday Morning" Sickness  --- whereby weavers couldnt get out of bed on Monday morning  the anxiety/stress of a full weeks work prevented them, they where paralysed. They would loose their jobs. The family would be in serious trouble as there was no Benefit system then.

In General

but generally i do have to force myself out of bed everyday 

i hate my work ,,, i but have been in jobs i adored.

life is suffering  its all about enjoying your suffering Slight smile

• I get anxious on weekdays trying to go to sleep or waking up, and only when I'm working/going to lectures. My insomnia gets really bad during term time, but during the holidays my circadian cycle is perfectly balanced. I have very bad social anxiety,  so I'm probably just up dreading another day of having to mask all day and try to get on with others, be sociable, make friends. Hoping that by staying up I can somehow defer it Upside down

• Yeah I can chime with that. I thought everyone got it?

On way to work on a morning definitely. Everywhere I ever worked.

Perhaps it is an ast thing

• Oh my goodness this could have been written by me.  I am exactly the same.

• I think it's probably really common. For me though I've never ever avoided anything because of it. I think cos it's just part of my life, I'm accustomed to it. Like you say, you knew it was happening but didn't think anything of it.

• Hiya, I've always experienced this too, all through school and when on my way to work in a morning. At every place I've worked! I always called it morning tummy ache, for a long time I didn't think Shrug tone1anything of it but I knew it was happening, but in recent years I have linked it to anxiety as I worked with a child in care who suffered the same. Every morning before school he'd refuse to go because he felt poorly, but by the time he either got to school or was let off the hook, he was fine again!

Apart from him - and now you, I had never come across anyone who has the same sensation.

• Yes I have felt that too. It's usually when anxiety is rising that it amplifies everything but I've learned to recognise that now....mostly.

Yes I do find breathing meditation helps. I think it's being in a good routine with stuff. When you get out of it, anxiety can take more of a hold. I haven't been sleeping well lately and I think this compounds things too. I'm trying to get back into a good routine of eating and sleeping well and meditating. 

Yes perpetual fight or flight. Maybe comes from a lower intolerance of uncertainty.

• Yes, I have similar sensations, I think. I don't really have the words to describe it though. Feeling edgy about often basic simple things, I assume it's what some people might call anxiety...

Fight or Flight.

From what I gather, it's adrenaline, cortisol and all that jazz. Sympathetic vs Parasympathetic nervous system. 

Certain stress relief protocols can help, breathing techniques etc. Google "physiological sighs" I find they are useful for calming me down when I'm feeling a bit ... not sure what the right word is...