Morning anxiety in adults

I was just wondering what people's experience of this is since I can't really find much online or its about children. Often I can get really bad nausea in the morning and I know it's anxiety and nothing physical because I don't usually get it when I'm off work. I noticed this morning how I woke up about 15 mins before my alarm but when it went off that's when the anxious feelings in my stomach started. I've also noticed I can have these feelings even if I am expecting a good day in work. (I.e. I haven't been worrying or even thinking about work).  I've noticed it slightly sometimes before going away. I have had periods where I haven't had this however. It does seem to be worse at the start of term after the summer hols. Also I used to be like this before school as a child. I'm wondering if it's just general uncertainty about a new day ahead (but not always worry) as it subsides once I get in the car and I'm at work. I was also wondering if it's discomfort about changing from one state to another. (Sleep to wakefulness) I always find waking and getting up difficult especially if it's dictated to me by having to go to work or an appointment for example.

I was wondering what other people's experiences are. Thanks. 

Parents
  • Hi,

I have had this all my working life. My alarm goes off at 6am and I need to leave for work at 7am but I cant physically get up till at least 6,50 every morning. Mentally the thought of getting up, having the sensations of gettting washed and dressed and the change from being at home to being at work where I will have to deal with social situations and mask is just simply too much for me. Sometiems I have had to call in sick or got up so late I have missed the bus to work becuase of it.

Just wondered, since you mentioned term time and summer hols are you a teacher too? 

• Hi,

I have had this all my working life. My alarm goes off at 6am and I need to leave for work at 7am but I cant physically get up till at least 6,50 every morning. Mentally the thought of getting up, having the sensations of gettting washed and dressed and the change from being at home to being at work where I will have to deal with social situations and mask is just simply too much for me. Sometiems I have had to call in sick or got up so late I have missed the bus to work becuase of it.

Just wondered, since you mentioned term time and summer hols are you a teacher too? 

Children
  • Yes I am, of adults. But ive had this all my life. I think it was less so when I worked in retail. I remember being like this at uni though and when I did an office job. I'm off for half term now but still felt it a bit this morning. I've never really thought of it about "having to deal with social situations and masking" because I only became aware of that a few years ago. But ive always had these sensations to a certain extent. I've never rang in sick because of it though, it's just a "normal" part of my life I guess.