Jealousy- does anyone else suffer from it?

I would say one of my biggest faults is jealousy.

I don't know why, but it is. I don't like it. But looking back over my life it has caused me most problems.

I don't know if jealousy is linked to autism or not.

Does any else find this a problem?

Parents
  • Yes.  I think it's that "sense of lack" mentioned by Tassimo that is strong with me and very easily triggered.  I have to be on to myself to mitigate and sometimes even dispel it.

I don't think it's directly linked to autism but, looking back over my life, I think there's a strong indirect connection.  For example, my teenage years were blighted by poverty which largely arose from my (probably autistic) parents inability to either bring in a reasonable, consistent income combined with severe reservations about asking for help or, indeed, consulting anyone about anything, such was the social anxiety.  The state of our house also meant we couldn't ask anyone round, which led to another lack - that of friends.  And standing out for being different compounded this by seemingly inviting victimisation and bullying with a lack of support to counter this. 

Then, later in life, I kept up the family traditions by shrinking fearfully from others, experiencing severe anxiety and generally not being the kind of outgoing person who makes connections and gets on with the job.  Naturally this lead to a continued lack of social contact and didn't do my employment and promotion prospects any good either.  Whilst this didn't lead to the same poverty I experienced in childhood, there was often the feeling of falling short and underperforming plus a lack of the decent anticipated return on years of working hard to attain various qualifications.

Now I'm afraid I've passed some of these "lacks" on.  My now adult children are experiencing severe problems just with life and with making their way in the world, even in spite of us having more knowledge and the ability to offer more support.  And I'm not sure there'll be another generation because of these difficulties, which saddens me both for them and for myself (so many from my class at school, including the ones who made life difficult for me, are now - seemingly effortlessly - grandparents).

So...  jealousy...  yes, I feel pangs.  It's hard not to draw comparisons with others but, more than that, I often think there's a serious shortfall between the effort I'm putting in and what I'm getting out.  So I have to be on to myself when I start thinking about life in that simplistic "transactional" way because there are actually no guarantees of anything in this world and some of my expectations were setting myself up for misery.  I have to meditate or go do some gardening to release the thoughts of the "better" life I somehow think I've lost and the others who seem to be living it.         

• Yes.  I think it's that "sense of lack" mentioned by Tassimo that is strong with me and very easily triggered.  I have to be on to myself to mitigate and sometimes even dispel it.

I don't think it's directly linked to autism but, looking back over my life, I think there's a strong indirect connection.  For example, my teenage years were blighted by poverty which largely arose from my (probably autistic) parents inability to either bring in a reasonable, consistent income combined with severe reservations about asking for help or, indeed, consulting anyone about anything, such was the social anxiety.  The state of our house also meant we couldn't ask anyone round, which led to another lack - that of friends.  And standing out for being different compounded this by seemingly inviting victimisation and bullying with a lack of support to counter this. 

Then, later in life, I kept up the family traditions by shrinking fearfully from others, experiencing severe anxiety and generally not being the kind of outgoing person who makes connections and gets on with the job.  Naturally this lead to a continued lack of social contact and didn't do my employment and promotion prospects any good either.  Whilst this didn't lead to the same poverty I experienced in childhood, there was often the feeling of falling short and underperforming plus a lack of the decent anticipated return on years of working hard to attain various qualifications.

Now I'm afraid I've passed some of these "lacks" on.  My now adult children are experiencing severe problems just with life and with making their way in the world, even in spite of us having more knowledge and the ability to offer more support.  And I'm not sure there'll be another generation because of these difficulties, which saddens me both for them and for myself (so many from my class at school, including the ones who made life difficult for me, are now - seemingly effortlessly - grandparents).

So...  jealousy...  yes, I feel pangs.  It's hard not to draw comparisons with others but, more than that, I often think there's a serious shortfall between the effort I'm putting in and what I'm getting out.  So I have to be on to myself when I start thinking about life in that simplistic "transactional" way because there are actually no guarantees of anything in this world and some of my expectations were setting myself up for misery.  I have to meditate or go do some gardening to release the thoughts of the "better" life I somehow think I've lost and the others who seem to be living it.         

Children
No Data