Musical Theatre

One of my big loves has to be Musical Theatre - I've always had an interest in theatre ever since I was younger and always enjoy a visit to see a musical/play either locally or on the West End. I also hope to one day work within the industry, I do stage crew at a local theatre already but hoping that the volunteering experience from that will help to turn it into a career.

I was just wondering if anyone else shared the interest too? If so what are your favourite shows to go see? :) 

Parents
  • I have been brought up around live music, and then loved the backstage side of things.

I worked on a lot of shows at school and in in our local amateur theatre groups - it made me great friends with like minded people, and gained me experience for what came next.
    When I left school - at 16 - I was lucky enough to land an apprenticeship at a Repertory Theatre - and was heavily involved in some way with all of their shows. A fantastic time, lots of fond memories, also being Rep, lot's of hard work, as our shows changed every 3 weeks.

That was all 30 years ago, and I still work within the ents industry - nowadays mainly on TV Dram / Films.

Experience is the best way - via School shows, College shows, Local Am Dram shows & show and interest.
    Many local theatres (professional) have a list of Casual Staff - who they call in when required (for larger shows etc) - that was a very good way to get a foot in the door.

The West End theatres tend to have a small nucleus of "House Staff", the show crews and extra hands are drafted in on a 'by production basis'.

This is one thing I really struggled with when I moved to TV/Film work - being Freelance, you are contracted to work on one Series/Film, and then move on to the next. You never really work with all the same people - so each Production (for me) it's quite daunting having to meet new faces and start again.

However - both Industries (Theatre & TV/Film) have remarkable mental health awareness and support available - even more so for those who may be on the spectrum etc.

Both jobs can be demanding at times, as it isn't a 9-5 job, but it is damn rewarding when you read great show reviews, see your name pop up in credits and see the smiles on audience faces!

Edit: Fave Show....

Little Shop of Horrors

• Thank you for answering and it’s great to hear a bit about your background etc.

I once wanted to work in the Film/TV industry too, I even have a degree in the subject, but as time went on I slowly fell out of love with it.

I really regret that now as I’m still a big cinema and tv fan.

I also completely get what you mean about it being rewarding, there’s no greater feeling I’d say when either seeing your work on a screen or hearing that applause when the curtain drops.

I really love Theatre as well as Film/TV equally, they both have a place in my heart and I guess it shows that I must be a creative kind of person! 

Wishing you all the best on your next filming projectRelaxed

• Thank you for answering and it’s great to hear a bit about your background etc.

I once wanted to work in the Film/TV industry too, I even have a degree in the subject, but as time went on I slowly fell out of love with it.

I really regret that now as I’m still a big cinema and tv fan.

I also completely get what you mean about it being rewarding, there’s no greater feeling I’d say when either seeing your work on a screen or hearing that applause when the curtain drops.

I really love Theatre as well as Film/TV equally, they both have a place in my heart and I guess it shows that I must be a creative kind of person! 

Wishing you all the best on your next filming projectRelaxed

Children
No Data