Musical Theatre

One of my big loves has to be Musical Theatre - I've always had an interest in theatre ever since I was younger and always enjoy a visit to see a musical/play either locally or on the West End. I also hope to one day work within the industry, I do stage crew at a local theatre already but hoping that the volunteering experience from that will help to turn it into a career.

I was just wondering if anyone else shared the interest too? If so what are your favourite shows to go see? :) 

• Thank you for answering and it’s great to hear a bit about your background etc.

I once wanted to work in the Film/TV industry too, I even have a degree in the subject, but as time went on I slowly fell out of love with it.

I really regret that now as I’m still a big cinema and tv fan.

I also completely get what you mean about it being rewarding, there’s no greater feeling I’d say when either seeing your work on a screen or hearing that applause when the curtain drops.

I really love Theatre as well as Film/TV equally, they both have a place in my heart and I guess it shows that I must be a creative kind of person! 

Wishing you all the best on your next filming projectRelaxed

• I have been brought up around live music, and then loved the backstage side of things.

I worked on a lot of shows at school and in in our local amateur theatre groups - it made me great friends with like minded people, and gained me experience for what came next.
    When I left school - at 16 - I was lucky enough to land an apprenticeship at a Repertory Theatre - and was heavily involved in some way with all of their shows. A fantastic time, lots of fond memories, also being Rep, lot's of hard work, as our shows changed every 3 weeks.

That was all 30 years ago, and I still work within the ents industry - nowadays mainly on TV Dram / Films.

Experience is the best way - via School shows, College shows, Local Am Dram shows & show and interest.
    Many local theatres (professional) have a list of Casual Staff - who they call in when required (for larger shows etc) - that was a very good way to get a foot in the door.

The West End theatres tend to have a small nucleus of "House Staff", the show crews and extra hands are drafted in on a 'by production basis'.

This is one thing I really struggled with when I moved to TV/Film work - being Freelance, you are contracted to work on one Series/Film, and then move on to the next. You never really work with all the same people - so each Production (for me) it's quite daunting having to meet new faces and start again.

However - both Industries (Theatre & TV/Film) have remarkable mental health awareness and support available - even more so for those who may be on the spectrum etc.

Both jobs can be demanding at times, as it isn't a 9-5 job, but it is damn rewarding when you read great show reviews, see your name pop up in credits and see the smiles on audience faces!

Edit: Fave Show....

Little Shop of Horrors

• I worked in Theatre  very briefly about 20 years ago. I loved it but as undiagnosed Autistic,  I struggled and couldn't understand why. Theatre is such a wonderful environment.  Especially touring Theatre because it's such a close knit community. Having now worked in 'the normal world' for so many years, I'm definitely the worse for wear. I'm currently dealing with my health and seriously considering moving back to either Theatre itself, or something parallel which allows me to focus on creativity rather than what I have to deal with at the moment. 

As a suggestion, anyone interested in going into Theatre, please be careful of the roles that you take on. There are some very shifty people out there. If your looking for a reputable source of jobs, look at the Stage ( I promise this isn't SPAM) I'm sure there are others. This just happens to be the one I know of. It not only discusses what is happening in the UK Theatre world, it also has job listings,  and offers guidance on what to be weary of.

• It's my favourite! I did performing arts in college and absolutely loved it. I love singing and acting and dancing, so putting them all together is a dream for me.

• Have you ever seen Riverdance or Lord of the Dance?.  Both are excellent.  Ive seen both 3 times each.  I think its worth seeing Riverdance before watching Lord Of The Dance.

• That's so cool! I wish I could play some of my favourite songs on different instruments, but I can only imagine :D 

I had a few friends who loved Rocky Horror at uni, and when we put the soundtrack on we would shout the backup vocals from Dammit, Janet from either end of the workshop! 

• I Love love love musical theatre

I run my own amateur youth theatre group. 

My favourite shows are Les Mis, Hamilton and Rent.

My favourite film is The Sound of Music.

• Dammit, Janet. I love you. I also play some of the songs on piano. I managed to get a digital copy of the original score a couple of years back.

• It's amazing isn't it! When I need cheering up I watch the film or clips of the live show on youtube

• I love theatre! I did a scenic arts course at uni because I really enjoy the creative process of making the world of a theatre show :) I'm hoping to follow a career in behind the scenes theatre when I've built up more confidence with my autism.

My favourite musical theatre shows would have to be Chicago and the Rocky Horror Show. But back in college I helped out with a lot of musicals and I enjoyed The Wiz the most! 

• I love musicals too but again anxiety has prevented me going to the theatre much. I mostly just watch the movie versions. Les Mis is my all time favourite, I listen to the songs on the way to work every day. Its such a comfort to me.

WHats your favourite?

• Hi Piggy1405!

Volunteering is very fun I’d say. I mainly follow spot, which I have grown fond of that role. A typical one show day can vary but many have been from 10am - 10pm, and it includes the get in, tech/dress rehearsal, performance and then get out (so a very long day!) but nothing beats the feeling of creating a piece of theatre, gives me such a buzz Relaxed

I have seen Hairspray actually, I managed to see its revival a few months back in the West End, I also enjoy the music!

• Hi,

i love all theatre however my social anxiety means i don't go to the theatre very often. 

what is it like volunteering as stage crew? sounds fun

have you seen hairspray? i absolutely love the songs however i have never seen it.