Being "difficult" at work?

I'm generally pretty decent at my job wherever I work, but there is an aspect of work that always causes me issues.

I pick up on details that people often miss or choose to ignore, in particular when policies are not being followed, which in my job can put people at risk.

When I communicate this to management I am seen as being, "difficult," "abrupt," or "rude," but no-one can ever seem to tell me what I said that was actually rude, as opposed to being not what they wanted to hear, as it causes problems for them to have to solve.

This has been something I have faced for some while in a variety of workplaces.

I wish I could just ignore what I notice, but I literally feel compelled to identify issues once I see them, especially as they could endanger people.

Parents
  • I would just walk into your supervisors office and ask if or when they have a minute and then let them know you'd like help or a protocol to relay health and safety issues you've noticed recurring. Maybe there's a manual or a way this office prefers to address these issues. Also - LIE if you must - and say you enjoy the staff and the workspace, and just want to make sure it's safe for everyone. 

One-off, careless occurances, most people would rather everyone just forgives and forgets. If a drawer is left open, say, you could simply close it and walk away. 

NTs can be drunk with power in work environments. In their heiearchy structures, the ones with the most power find secret covert ways of getting others fired and since no one really likes the NT who tries to do that and does it poorly (decent examples in the TV show The Office), matters of safety can easily be compromised as most won't want to complain and thus make themselves appear as though they're not that clever. A Field Guide to Earthlings talks about how they default associate everything rather than objectively looking at problems. So if I complain, the negative words are associated with me rather than what's happening. The individual with the problem is the one without power. It's a bt messed up. Better to ask how they prefer you handle it. I've messed this up in previous jobs and been frowned upon. Enough research has at least provided Rules to the Game... ugh.

• I would just walk into your supervisors office and ask if or when they have a minute and then let them know you'd like help or a protocol to relay health and safety issues you've noticed recurring. Maybe there's a manual or a way this office prefers to address these issues. Also - LIE if you must - and say you enjoy the staff and the workspace, and just want to make sure it's safe for everyone. 

One-off, careless occurances, most people would rather everyone just forgives and forgets. If a drawer is left open, say, you could simply close it and walk away. 

NTs can be drunk with power in work environments. In their heiearchy structures, the ones with the most power find secret covert ways of getting others fired and since no one really likes the NT who tries to do that and does it poorly (decent examples in the TV show The Office), matters of safety can easily be compromised as most won't want to complain and thus make themselves appear as though they're not that clever. A Field Guide to Earthlings talks about how they default associate everything rather than objectively looking at problems. So if I complain, the negative words are associated with me rather than what's happening. The individual with the problem is the one without power. It's a bt messed up. Better to ask how they prefer you handle it. I've messed this up in previous jobs and been frowned upon. Enough research has at least provided Rules to the Game... ugh.

Children
  • I did follow the reporting procedure. I did as the organisation states we should in their training stuff. It was not a one off...I've spoken to management previously and nothing changed.

Unfortunately, as you say, people strike back at the individual, rather than solve the problem.

I did not ' blame ' anyone...just pointed out dangers/risks.

It seems the corporate image doesn't match real world fact.