Being "difficult" at work?

I'm generally pretty decent at my job wherever I work, but there is an aspect of work that always causes me issues.

I pick up on details that people often miss or choose to ignore, in particular when policies are not being followed, which in my job can put people at risk.

When I communicate this to management I am seen as being, "difficult," "abrupt," or "rude," but no-one can ever seem to tell me what I said that was actually rude, as opposed to being not what they wanted to hear, as it causes problems for them to have to solve.

This has been something I have faced for some while in a variety of workplaces.

I wish I could just ignore what I notice, but I literally feel compelled to identify issues once I see them, especially as they could endanger people.

Parents
  • I pick up on things that others don't see or understand, or it takes them much longer to work out and arrive at the conclusion that I've already reached and raised as an issue. Plus, I think that people often make intentional invalid statements (to buy time, cover something up, etc) and I'd often disagree and state the actual situation.

Worst is when someone makes a point of asking my opinion, I know I should keep it to myself, they push and push and then I tell them and then they're not happy. But, in that case, I think, you asked, I didn't want to say and you pushed until I did, so it's on you. Work-wise, people tend to eventually understand that if I say something it is right, even if no one else could see it at the time.

In your case, if there are things you see that have a safety impact, I would think you have a responsibility to raise them... but you need to have an expected process for doing so that is in line with policies or company/organisation way of working?

• I pick up on things that others don't see or understand, or it takes them much longer to work out and arrive at the conclusion that I've already reached and raised as an issue. Plus, I think that people often make intentional invalid statements (to buy time, cover something up, etc) and I'd often disagree and state the actual situation.

Worst is when someone makes a point of asking my opinion, I know I should keep it to myself, they push and push and then I tell them and then they're not happy. But, in that case, I think, you asked, I didn't want to say and you pushed until I did, so it's on you. Work-wise, people tend to eventually understand that if I say something it is right, even if no one else could see it at the time.

In your case, if there are things you see that have a safety impact, I would think you have a responsibility to raise them... but you need to have an expected process for doing so that is in line with policies or company/organisation way of working?

Children