Is Autism 'a man's world'?

Please know that I'm not writing this to be deliberately inflammatory or provocative, or to have a go at anyone here, but I just feel so isolated as an Autistic woman. Most other Autistic people I've engaged with are men, and seem to have quite a different presentation and outlook on life to me. They are often very blunt, whereas I'm not. When I get emotional, they don't seem to understand - I've been accused of 'emotionally exploding', for example, simply for expressing that I felt uncomfortable with a conversation. It's more than that, though, to be honest I'm finding it quite hard to explain in logical terms...I just don't feel I fit in in the Autism world or the neurotypical world, and I'm wondering if this is because I'm female. Does anyone else feel this way?

Parents
  • The more times I read this post, the more ridiculous it seems. How can Autism be a man's world? Autism doesn't have a sex or gender. 

• I never said Autism had a sex or gender. I said that I felt it was a male-dominated world. It's traditionally been thought of as a male thing and still is by a lot of people; they're wrong, but the belief is there, and that continues to prevent a lot of Autistic women from getting the help they need. What's more is my question was a genuine question asked because of my own experiences, not a declaration. Honestly, I'm sick of this site and the jumping on people. This is no place if you actually need support. It's a load of unkind, judgemental, narcissistic people shouting into an echo-chamber, only wanting to air their opinions, thinking they're great philosophers, and not actually wanting to offer peer support. You have no right to call anyone 'ridiculous'. I've never called you 'ridiculous'. You people do nothing for the negative stereotypes against us. Absolutely nothing.

• Giraffe, I didn't call you ridiculous. Please don't extrapolate meanings from my words where there are none. 

The more times I read this post, the more ridiculous it seems.

The more times I read *this post*, the more ridiculous *it* seems. *It* being the notion that the autistic world (I wish I knew where this world was) is a male-dominated world. That is what ridiculous refers back to. It's not healthy to take everything people say as a personal attack.

• use "More" > "report as abusive" and the moderators will gradually deal with them

I love the way you try to get others to do your dirty work.

• use "More" > "report as abusive" and the moderators will gradually deal with them

• I don't blame you. Life is too short to be spending it on an Internet forum. I need to take my own advice really. Don't feel stupid, you have a right to ask questions and start a discussion. Take care.

• I know your comment wasn't aimed at anyone - it certainly didn't feel like a jibe - and my apology was sincere. Absolutely, I am going. I feel so stupid for staying here and defending myself.

Reply Children