Is Autism 'a man's world'?

Please know that I'm not writing this to be deliberately inflammatory or provocative, or to have a go at anyone here, but I just feel so isolated as an Autistic woman. Most other Autistic people I've engaged with are men, and seem to have quite a different presentation and outlook on life to me. They are often very blunt, whereas I'm not. When I get emotional, they don't seem to understand - I've been accused of 'emotionally exploding', for example, simply for expressing that I felt uncomfortable with a conversation. It's more than that, though, to be honest I'm finding it quite hard to explain in logical terms...I just don't feel I fit in in the Autism world or the neurotypical world, and I'm wondering if this is because I'm female. Does anyone else feel this way?

Parents
  • This is probably going to sound sexist but I've measured women aspies as 'aspie-lite'    The get all the disadvantages of blunt thinking  and logical like a bloke along with most of the social skills needed to be able to hide in plain sight - but having to live and perform in the female environment - which is brutal to 'outsiders'.

It's a position where I usually see two outcomes - they either become outcasts / oddballs or they rise through the ranks very quickly in business due to the iron hand in the velvet glove approach.

• The outcasts is true to themselves - the ones rising to your idea of success - trying to be neurotypical. 

• trying to be neurotypical. 

Not at all - they rise through the ranks because they have a lot of the typical female conversational & interpersonal skills but with the hard logic of the aspie brain - pretty much unstoppable in business.

• Constantly masking and competing in a world not made for them. NT ways of seeing symbols and words. The entire reality wrapped up in words that are not theirs. 

In larger sectors of the ideological 'whirled' (where people suffer more from survival of the elitist delusions and all manner of abusively normalised tribalisms and individualisms and all that) your statement is to some extent quite true.

Whereas to various degrees adequate or even appropriate social-environmental facilitation means that in the real world of humans and otherwise; it and the cosmos are more befitting as individuality is not a crime but natural by design ~ whether that individuality be male, female or just as beautifully otherwise in terms of belonging collectively in the tribal sense, or individually in the nomadic or more isolated senses.

• Constantly masking and competing in a world not made for them. NT ways of seeing symbols and words. The entire reality wrapped up in words that are not theirs. 

In larger sectors of the ideological 'whirled' (where people suffer more from survival of the elitist delusions and all manner of abusively normalised tribalisms and individualisms and all that) your statement is to some extent quite true.

Whereas to various degrees adequate or even appropriate social-environmental facilitation means that in the real world of humans and otherwise; it and the cosmos are more befitting as individuality is not a crime but natural by design ~ whether that individuality be male, female or just as beautifully otherwise in terms of belonging collectively in the tribal sense, or individually in the nomadic or more isolated senses.

Children
No Data