Scared of losing my job

Hello,

I am currently on the waiting list via the NHS to have an autism assessment. I have always had a strong inclination that I am autistic, however I’ve not pushed hard enough for a diagnosis up until this point.

I have a job which I’ve had for almost ten months now, but I have had a meltdown, got quite angry when things ‘haven’t been done correctly’ and snapped at people. Unfortunately, in my job, there are people who like to take any ‘mistakes’ you make and run with them to management. This is of course causing me worry as I consider this job my forever job and want to do well in it and not be seen as a ‘problem’. I’ve told one person in management that I am in a waiting list to get a diagnosis, but I haven’t mentioned to anyone else, so when I have displayed autism traits it’s deemed by my colleagues as me being rude, snappy or quite frankly, strange! 

Even though I have told one person in management, I’m afraid that because I haven’t had a formal diagnosis that they think I’m just using autism as an excuse for what colleagues consider to be rudeness and anger issues. I’ve had the obligatory diagnosis in the past of anxiety and depression, and have been put on medication throughout life, and have also tried to self medicate, both of which were to no avail.

I don’t want to be seen as a problem, or risk being dismissed or suspended, however I’m reluctant to tell anyone as people in this job (as I’m sure in most jobs) are not trustworthy and will use these things against you.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or does anyone have any suggestions on how to move forward without people constantly complaining about me snapping when things are not done as I see how they need to be done?

I am so scared of having a ‘bad mark’ against my name or being punished.

If anyone could also tell me if they have tried things whilst waiting for a diagnosis, that can help with what is perceived as rudeness or snapping? 

I really don’t want to lose my job, or not be given opportunity to progress because of this.

Thank you! 

Parents
  • Hi Katie, 

Definitely good to mention as they do have to be careful and possibly could make a reasonable adjustment. They don’t want to do something they could get in trouble for even if you are not yet diagnosed. 
    it’s good you have one person you can talk to. Even if you don’t tell all, it could be worth speaking to a HR manager if you felt it was worth doing so. They will be able to advise the managers how to support you. 

• Hi Katie, 

Definitely good to mention as they do have to be careful and possibly could make a reasonable adjustment. They don’t want to do something they could get in trouble for even if you are not yet diagnosed. 
    it’s good you have one person you can talk to. Even if you don’t tell all, it could be worth speaking to a HR manager if you felt it was worth doing so. They will be able to advise the managers how to support you. 

Children