marriage and relationships

I have been on the forum for a couple of years and noticed the majority of posters seem to be married or in a relationship .This may be a sweeping statement and may not be true.

What Is baffling is how people ever marry or live with someone with a diagnosis of a spectrum disorder . The discussions I had with my psychotherapist helped me realise why I am single ,

I could not compromise my routine as it helps me through the day . 

Parents
  • I suspect the vast majority on here are single - and it seems to be the older, 'undiagnosed until later life' ones that got further down the line of predictable NT-life before we either burned out or screwed up enough to be spotted.

I've known my wife since we met at senior school - married over 30 years now - we've grown up together - both of us were blank-slates so we have a lifetime of shared experiences.

• I spotted myself. I had no idea what, for want of a better phrase, 'less severe presentation' adult autism looked like. Once I had been tipped off, by a roundabout route - my daughter was told that she might be autistic and the therapist also said that I might be (from what she had heard of me), I looked at the traits and found that they described me, and then did a lot of research. I mask very, very well, it is only the sensory issues I have that would be visibly 'odd'. As I avoid my triggers like the plague, any obvious signs of my autism would not occur very often.

• It's good if you know yourself enough to protect yourself.    Do you feel you need to hide in daily life?

Reply Children
  • I wouldn't say hide. I think 'masking' is probably an inappropriate term, at least for me. What I do is more in the chameleon or cuttlefish line. I adapt to my surroundings, behaving in a neurotypical way is like being a naturally yellow chameleon in a red room, I shift to a deep orange. I can keep the disguise up for a long time, but it is draining, and after a while I need to be on my own and be yellow to recharge my energy.