Burnout/sensory overload getting worse as one gets older?

I've noticed that my sensory overload/burnout is getting worse as I'm getting older. I used to be very energetic in my 20s, but then gradually burned out to the point where I couldn't work anymore. I used to need at least one rest day a week where I do absolutely nothing except lying in bed and watching Netflix, now I need 2 of them per week.

I recently finished my college course (which I did from home because Covid); once I finished everything, I was completely exhausted for a week. Today and yesterday I met up with friends, I had a nice time and walked quite a lot, and now I'm absolutely shattered. I'll definitely need a day of doing nothing tomorrow. Every activity seems to drain me, and it takes at least 24 hours to recharge my batteries.

I'm 32 so it's not like I'm ancient, lol. I eat healthy, regular meals, and I take vitamins, supplements, nootropics etc. so I'm not sure what else I can do to boost my energy levels. 

Has anyone else experienced increased tiredness as they are getting older?

Parents
  • Yes, I am 42 and spend a good amount laying down, it varies of course too. I had to stop working 2 years ago.
    One thing that is hard to accept is that I can't listen to a lot of music anymore and often I can't watch TV. I just had to leave the living room today, because we were watching a documentary on African culture and music. There was music and talking at the same time for at least ten minutes.  It was unbearable.
    Good luck to you. I wish I could have told you a happier story.

• This is very interesting - I completely understand this sensory issue. I have noisy neighbours. I try to wind down in the evening and watch my specific program on a specific date/time, then all of a sudden their music starts (or it's a facetime call through their TV, with a child who has a very shrill voice) and I can't understand what's going on, on my program, even with subtitles. I can't bear the volume being increased. It's like a cross-contamination of sound and it "upsets my ears". I find we go out more and more for walks and all-day drive-arounds just to get out of the flat. We're moving soon, fingers crossed.

• Yes! The media companies need to make a version for people with "sense-itivities"!  > Same volume and no multiple sounds/ sound effects, no blinking lights or quick camera movements.
    - Yes, I know I am dreaming.
    :-D

I hope that the new place will be more pleasant for you!

• A cheap and cheerful, "try before you buy" solution is a pair of industrial ear defenders.

I've been known to use them myself when the 'sperg is strong in me and I'm stuck in a noisy environment.

• Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

• She went with the 65db reduction (12cm width) which is what we're going with too. I found the company that does the soundproofing on Channel 4 Big Build SOS - it's the Reductoclip shown here, but not this company Soundproofing

• I will keep that in mind when we move. Right now the noise is ok from the neighbors upstairs. They work at least 5 9-10 hour days and then - when they go crazy on the weekends, it doesn't last too long. I imagine them drinking and collapsing from a hard week.

What does get on my nerves is the constant drone from our 20 year old fridge.

I researched soundproofing a little. I love the decoupling idea, but just adding another dry wall seems a lot easier. What did your friend do?

• Not as expensive as you think. A friend of mine has just installed her own and she says it's made a huge difference. 

• We're getting it soundproofed on the party wall! Grinning

Reply Children