Burnout/sensory overload getting worse as one gets older?

I've noticed that my sensory overload/burnout is getting worse as I'm getting older. I used to be very energetic in my 20s, but then gradually burned out to the point where I couldn't work anymore. I used to need at least one rest day a week where I do absolutely nothing except lying in bed and watching Netflix, now I need 2 of them per week.

I recently finished my college course (which I did from home because Covid); once I finished everything, I was completely exhausted for a week. Today and yesterday I met up with friends, I had a nice time and walked quite a lot, and now I'm absolutely shattered. I'll definitely need a day of doing nothing tomorrow. Every activity seems to drain me, and it takes at least 24 hours to recharge my batteries.

I'm 32 so it's not like I'm ancient, lol. I eat healthy, regular meals, and I take vitamins, supplements, nootropics etc. so I'm not sure what else I can do to boost my energy levels. 

Has anyone else experienced increased tiredness as they are getting older?

• A cheap and cheerful, "try before you buy" solution is a pair of industrial ear defenders.

I've been known to use them myself when the 'sperg is strong in me and I'm stuck in a noisy environment.

• Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

• I use Holland and Barret timed release vitamin B12 1000uG if I have a big day scheduled, or for a few days in a row if I simply get bored of falling asleep in the day.

It seems to work remarkably well for me. YMMV.

• Just posted this link in another topic, it does seem to suggest that traits can become more pronounced as you get older www.gold.ac.uk/.../

• Sure. Is there some classical piece that is your favorite, or is it the genre you like? I put on sleep music radio station for my son in the evening. But I found that often there are some sounds in there that make me uncomfortable or there's a sudden increase in volume which I don't like. Having said this I know that my family always tells me I am so picky. But what am I to do?! My ears and emotions are so sensitive.
    I like Einaudi.
    I do believe in a soul. and anything that touches it in a positive way is great. (Oh, you got me thinking about quantum physics now and that everything is vibration (=sound))

• Hi no my son  who is autistic aswell is not really into music atm, he has his own intense interests.

BTW that dub music is very good I now have some playlists with it on and thankyou for citizen warwick also. Anything like this is great for my soul if you believe in one

I'm listening to a lot of calm classical also which helps my mind calm down as I have adhd. Gaza p.s that's bizarre the ramones dub lol

• She went with the 65db reduction (12cm width) which is what we're going with too. I found the company that does the soundproofing on Channel 4 Big Build SOS - it's the Reductoclip shown here, but not this company Soundproofing

• I will keep that in mind when we move. Right now the noise is ok from the neighbors upstairs. They work at least 5 9-10 hour days and then - when they go crazy on the weekends, it doesn't last too long. I imagine them drinking and collapsing from a hard week.

What does get on my nerves is the constant drone from our 20 year old fridge.

I researched soundproofing a little. I love the decoupling idea, but just adding another dry wall seems a lot easier. What did your friend do?

• Not as expensive as you think. A friend of mine has just installed her own and she says it's made a huge difference. 

• Does Joey like the Ramones? We named our kids after artists and they don't care. :-D
    I actually found some: www.youtube.com/watch
    It's strange, but worth a listen. Definitely creative.
    Citizen Warwick has some nice stuff.

• Gawd, I'm literally in the very same position as you. Any day now we're waiting for confirmation. First job at the new house - party wall sound insulation. I had bought current place from a developer new, and asked about the sound conduction - but what we were promised and what was delivered are somewhat amiss.

Torture is exactly what it is.

Before we bought, we rented a terraced maisonette, so there was someone either side and a guy in a bedsit on the bottom floor who blasted music regularly and always had a drunk female guest who shouted a lot. There was someone in a garage round the back who had drum practice every Tuesday for 3 hours, 7-10pm. It was such torture, and like surround sound. The walls were paper thin. The couple next door had a child who had colic, and on cue every night at 1am she was sick. The mother screamed blue murder every single time it happened F-this and F-that (could hear every single word) for a full hour or two. The kid was sick 16 nights in a row on one occasion. The completion of our flat took 6-7 months longer than planned so we ended up stuck there way longer than we could tolerate.

Here's to new beginnings Champagne glass

• It's similar for me. Someone moved in next door who is talking loudly or shouting all day and night. My brain can't shut it out and even though I can't understand the words they're saying, it makes it impossible for me to focus on things. Even if I'm wearing headphones, hearing his muffled voice come through distracts me and the sounds are too confusing. I can't even listen to music or think because my brain is registering this voice.

I am moving soon too hopefully. It's been really difficult to organise it all but I have now sold my house and bought a new one, I'm just waiting for the solicitors to arrange anything and praying to god that nothing goes wrong. It's been more than a year of what is essentially torture and I want it to end.

• We're getting it soundproofed on the party wall! Grinning

• Thankyou. I will give dub a try. Ah the ramones I named my oldest son after joey the lead singer. I used to love listening to I wanna be sedated and road to ruin album. Happy days.p.s is there any ramones in dub? Haha

• I can relate.
    Do you know the parable of the Chinese farmer though?>>

A Chinese farmer gets a horse, which soon runs away. A neighbor says, "That's bad news." The farmer replies, "Good news, bad news, who can say?"

The horse comes back and brings another horse with him. Good news, you might say.
    The farmer gives the second horse to his son, who rides it, then is thrown and badly breaks his leg.

"So sorry for your bad news," says the concerned neighbor. "Good news, bad news, who can say?" the farmer replies.

In a week or so, the emperor's men come and take every able-bodied young man to fight in a war. The farmer's son is spared.

I try to recall that when I feel worthless. It works sometimes. What can we do about feeling worthless or our reduced ablilties?? I have no clue.
    About music:
    I will still listen to one or two songs by the Ramones or something like that and then I've had enough. I have also found that lyrics make it harder recently. So I have discovered some new music that I like. Dub is pretty awesome.

• Yes! The media companies need to make a version for people with "sense-itivities"!  > Same volume and no multiple sounds/ sound effects, no blinking lights or quick camera movements.
    - Yes, I know I am dreaming.
    :-D

I hope that the new place will be more pleasant for you!

• Have you had a thyroid check? Serious question. I had an under active thyroid diagnosed years ago because I told the doctor I was perpetually tired.  I take a levothyroxine tablet every day and that was transformative.  Just a thought.   

1. Hi tania I get this with music now. I used to listen to a lot of punk and heavy metal. Now I just cannot tolerate loud heavy music and now can only deal with no lyrics in the music, it's another form of  sensory issues for me which then leads to burnout pretty quick. I can't do school runs now for my young kids also, my wife has to do it all. I can't deal with all the noise that getting  close to the school brings, its makes me feel pretty worthless
  • This is very interesting - I completely understand this sensory issue. I have noisy neighbours. I try to wind down in the evening and watch my specific program on a specific date/time, then all of a sudden their music starts (or it's a facetime call through their TV, with a child who has a very shrill voice) and I can't understand what's going on, on my program, even with subtitles. I can't bear the volume being increased. It's like a cross-contamination of sound and it "upsets my ears". I find we go out more and more for walks and all-day drive-arounds just to get out of the flat. We're moving soon, fingers crossed.