Dyslexic Autistic

Has anyone here got  ASD and dyslexia? I wasn't sure whether the two conditions could co-exist and a lot of what I've read about them suggests that they couldn't (though I admit, some of the neuroscience I found confusing and I also did start getting irritated by how a lot of the websites portrayed those with either diagnosis.)

Thanks

Parents
  • I have dyscalculia (number dyslexia), and instead of switching letter positions, I switch number positions when I read and write them, which is terrible because math needs to be very precise, and this issue was undetected throughout my school years, even by me, and I didn't know what I was doing that was so different from everyone else. 

So now as an adult, I created an unconventional method, where I use alternative symbols for numbers that I can match up to the regular numbers, as a way to double-check myself. This is important for bills and phone numbers, and that sort thing.

But yeah, I think that autism and dyslexia can co-exist. 

• Wow! That's creative and an example of a smart ND brain finding solutions at it's very best.

Why not publish the method?  I bet there's some kid with dyscalculia out there, currently sobbing over their maths home work, who would kiss your feet for that one.

• Well, I'm probably just being highly critical of myself, but I'm not exactly sure where to begin to explain what I did, without going off on some random tangent of some kind. But I'll try to keep it short.

For the numbers themselves, try attaching a specific colour to each of the numbers 0 to 9. This works well for some people, who might even add personality traits and different social interactions between each number as well. 

There are also hand signs for numbers, like in sign language that are helpful, and it can be useful for remembering number codes like phone numbers and card numbers. 

There's also a way to use your hands as an abacus to count from 0 to 99. This is very "handy" for math calculations.

There are also braille numbers, that have basic geometrical lines and shapes that are easy to remember as well. 

As for math calculations, I already mentioned the abacus, but vedic math is a useful method as well, because even young children can learn and calculate very large numbers on the spot in a short period of time. 

I'm sure there's more methods to explore out there, but a combination of these different methods that I liked and found fun, have enabled me to get to the point where I can do mental math now, which something I thought was impossible for someone like me (with math dyslexia) to achieve. 

• I sneeze in strong sunlight too. I heard it's a genetic thing. Sometimes if I need to sneeze but it's too weak, I look at a strong light source to help me sneeze, because something about the light overwhelms my senses. I just assumed everyone was like that, until I  someone told me it was strange because that didn't happen to them. 

I think I do have synesthesia of some kind, probably something similar too mirror-touch or some kind of tactile synesthesia. People's intentions, feelings, and emotions are a shape that I feel that's in the room around me, sort of like a hologram or in a realm of it's own. They are shapes like cylinders, funnels, waterfalls, spheres, etc. But it depends on how focused that person is. If what they are feeling is mild then it's just like pollen off a flower. I thought this was normal and a thing that everyone noticed, until I started explaining it to my friends which they didn't really understand, and then one of them said it sounded like synesthesia. 

The thing about the colours and personality traits, was not really because I see numbers like that, but because other people who were naturally gifted at math said that's how they saw numbers, so I tried it out, but the colours weren't concrete enough to stick into my mind, do I had to try other methods until one worked for me. 

• Yeah! Finally, I found that. Effects, 18-30% of the whole population apparently.  There are some studies on whether it is more prevalent in autism - nothing conclusive, but probably not.  My son does that too.

Synesthesia, apparently is more prevalent, though.  I don't know that I have full blown synesthesia but sounds do evoke strong impressions of warmth or cold and colours.  Another head scratch moment, I'll have to test that out by asking a few people to see whether that's the same or different to anyone else.  My husband thinks I'm a bit bonkers with that one, but my son's always been fascinated by it as a concept.  I must check out with him whether he is actually experiencing it.

• sneezing in sun is all human thing and apes it came up in a nature programme one time --- 

When a stimulus excites one part of the body's parasympathetic nervous system, other parts of the system tend to become activated as well. So when bright light causes the eye's pupils to constrict, that may indirectly cause secretion and congestion in the nasal mucus membranes, which then leads to a sneeze.

• https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Ahhh, does this have anything to do with why the colour method works for you?

I've just been playing with google to work out why individual phonemes, especially in people's names, often have colour for me and why I sneeze in strong sun light. 

Not exclusive to autism, but noted as a frequent co-occurance.

• With pleasure.

Don't worry about it not suiting some people.  Every one is different is all.  All they'll think is: 'That's interesting.  I can see why it works if your brain is like that, but I need something else'.  Meanwhile, there will be others who can use it and will be dancing with delight.

• Yes, if I ever get to near completion of the book, I'd probably be a good idea to get people to polish it up. Thanks for your offer of help.

• I've also reasoned that what works for me might not work for others, and there's some fear about that, about people not liking what I do, but like you said, if one method does not work for them, hopefully they can find something that does.

There's also a fear of failure on my part. But I should not try to predict the future so quickly without trying to do it first. And I suppose a fear of failure is a pretty common fear, and I should not feel bad for having such fears. 

I think this would be a nice project for me to work on though, it's a good way to help others who have the same struggles as I have, and it's a good reason to channel my creativity into something that would benefit other people.  

Since you have experience tutoring those with learning difficulties, I think I'll come to you to ask you questions as the project is developing, because sometimes I'm not sure if what I'm explaining is communicated clearly, or if my thoughts are in an order that would make sense to the reader.

• havent heard "coppers" used in a while lol

• go for it  --- every little helps and besides we can help you polish it 

• I used to tutor kids with specific learning difficulties and a few with autism... and coppers with dyslexia and dyspraxia, too.  What works is very individual. Some of the strategies that worked for me worked for them.  Others had to find something else altogether.  But your solutions are incredibly creative and they are going to work also for some other folks out there.

• Maybe I should try to create something to help others struggling with math dyslexia. But a part of me is also naturally terrified, because who knows what it'll turn out to be like, but if you find it interesting, maybe others will as well. Thank you for your enthusiasm and belief in me. 

Reply Children