Dyslexic Autistic

Has anyone here got  ASD and dyslexia? I wasn't sure whether the two conditions could co-exist and a lot of what I've read about them suggests that they couldn't (though I admit, some of the neuroscience I found confusing and I also did start getting irritated by how a lot of the websites portrayed those with either diagnosis.)

Thanks

Parents
  • Yep! I'm not assessed yet, but if I'm not autistic, I definately have one hell of a sensory disorder of some sort. (I do actually suspect they'll either say I am autistic or only just sub-spectrum - many other traits). 

AND I am most definately dyslexic. That was officially diagnosed in my late teens. I also have Irlen's (an inability to filter the light spectrum properly, which make text dance and change colour), and a tint on my computer specs for it.

Apparently, the old Asperger's type autism is autism without language or cognitive delay, but may have specific  learning difficulties like dyslexia or dyspraxia. I gather they co-occur quite often.

What's confusing, and what probably prevented me from identifying that autism was a likely problem earlier is that some features of autism can also be explained by dyslexia...e.g my general uselessness in sport - no I won't catch a ball if I'm not seeing it exactly where it is (dyslexia), for instance. It's only when I'm putting that together with the fact I can't ride a bike or use slides etc (I.e. my balance is well off), or food issues, or feel pain and hunger when I should...on and in...that I can start to see the problems together and related.

• i didnt know u where dyslexic -- i hate that word its is so ironic its really hard to spell !

dyslexic people are all cool

• Lol, oh big time. And I got a degree in Modern Foreign Languages...I speak three languages, can't spell in any of them. Thank god for the IT age. 

Actually, learning so much about the component parts of language, really improved the spelling.

• Lol, oh big time. And I got a degree in Modern Foreign Languages...I speak three languages, can't spell in any of them. Thank god for the IT age. 

Actually, learning so much about the component parts of language, really improved the spelling.

Children
  • u lucky so and so  --- get a wee red convertible car  and cruise around south italy 

• Yes, language loss is a topic of research in linguistics, also. If you don't use it, you lose it.

It's so long since I used my Spanish, my passive understanding is still very good, but my self taught Italian is probably much stronger than my spoken Spanish now.

• Yes, that's it exactly. 

• i did read  Chomskys theories, and to be honest, have forgotten them all except the LAD which we ll have in our head  Slight smile

i also remember when u learn a new language as an adult its a different part of the brain than ur first language(s).

• We're born with Chomsksy's Universal Grammar imprinted on our brains. In early childhood we set all its parameters to the settings of the language(s) around us. But it takes a lot of cognitive energy to do that. The average two year old can have a conversation with you but not tie their shoe laces and they can't define what a verb is. Once the two year old has ensured survival by learning to communicate, the brain cells responsible for language learning are gradually repurposed for other survival necessities, like tying shoe laces. By puberty, the capacity to learn a language that way is gone.

Adults can learn languages, but they have to go about it very differently. They must learn the grammar and apply the rules consciously. They must be able to define what a verb is and study how it behaves to get it and do it. It's no longer easy.

But, I'm guessing you know all that :-)

I think some people might retain a smidgen of the childhood facility to absorb language and it might help them be good adult learners of new languages. Others maybe repurposed and devoted all their brain cells early to some other cognitive skill and their talents lie elsewhere.

I don't know that. I'm just theorizing out loud. I'm interested if anyone know more about that 

• yes please and funnier

• Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone used sign instead of verbal speech, sooooo much quieter.

• yea see  but its kinda good because u are spreading it

• I accidentally sign to my husband all the time.

• yes i considered Makaton  as it is used in "special" schools . 

i hope u dont use it when speaking to verbal people that can be weird i know a girl who uses it non stop 

• Very clever! I use Makaton for work and it's become a habit to use it all the time, specifically with the most common words. Would love to learn BSL.

• I'm half Dutch but grew up in Australia so never learned to speak it. I tried and just couldn't. I've also had a go at sign language,  did the first year twice, but never managed to get anywhere away from the classroom. I think the only way I could do either would be to completely immerse myself, I'm just not in a position to do that.

• again i had a real need for sign language  but unless i was using it every day it  went.  BTW my name aidie pronounced AD i can sign (BSL) in just 2 letters thats why i use that name. its a design feature.

• I pick up languages very quickly but will lose it very quickly also. I'm not dyslexic, I'm a human spellchecker. I love sign based languages because they are silent.

• i find all languages difficult / impossible to learn. i have a real need to learn Japanese/Chinese for Zen reasons but i can't unfortunately.........

see if u can learn Japanese or Chinese, do it, in business terms it is a real advantage 

psychologists talk about the LAD Language Acquisition Device,,an area of the brain,  u must have a good one :)

• Apparently Japonese is quite easy to learn 

• thats so comical  ---- apparently the language with the least dyslexia are Chinese and Japanese character based languages