Dyslexic Autistic

Has anyone here got  ASD and dyslexia? I wasn't sure whether the two conditions could co-exist and a lot of what I've read about them suggests that they couldn't (though I admit, some of the neuroscience I found confusing and I also did start getting irritated by how a lot of the websites portrayed those with either diagnosis.)

Thanks

Parents
  • Yep! I'm not assessed yet, but if I'm not autistic, I definately have one hell of a sensory disorder of some sort. (I do actually suspect they'll either say I am autistic or only just sub-spectrum - many other traits). 

AND I am most definately dyslexic. That was officially diagnosed in my late teens. I also have Irlen's (an inability to filter the light spectrum properly, which make text dance and change colour), and a tint on my computer specs for it.

Apparently, the old Asperger's type autism is autism without language or cognitive delay, but may have specific  learning difficulties like dyslexia or dyspraxia. I gather they co-occur quite often.

What's confusing, and what probably prevented me from identifying that autism was a likely problem earlier is that some features of autism can also be explained by dyslexia...e.g my general uselessness in sport - no I won't catch a ball if I'm not seeing it exactly where it is (dyslexia), for instance. It's only when I'm putting that together with the fact I can't ride a bike or use slides etc (I.e. my balance is well off), or food issues, or feel pain and hunger when I should...on and in...that I can start to see the problems together and related.

• Yep! I'm not assessed yet, but if I'm not autistic, I definately have one hell of a sensory disorder of some sort. (I do actually suspect they'll either say I am autistic or only just sub-spectrum - many other traits). 

AND I am most definately dyslexic. That was officially diagnosed in my late teens. I also have Irlen's (an inability to filter the light spectrum properly, which make text dance and change colour), and a tint on my computer specs for it.

Apparently, the old Asperger's type autism is autism without language or cognitive delay, but may have specific  learning difficulties like dyslexia or dyspraxia. I gather they co-occur quite often.

What's confusing, and what probably prevented me from identifying that autism was a likely problem earlier is that some features of autism can also be explained by dyslexia...e.g my general uselessness in sport - no I won't catch a ball if I'm not seeing it exactly where it is (dyslexia), for instance. It's only when I'm putting that together with the fact I can't ride a bike or use slides etc (I.e. my balance is well off), or food issues, or feel pain and hunger when I should...on and in...that I can start to see the problems together and related.

Children