Can't find like minded people you connect with ?

I know people are going to say go to groups where like minded people are but i never seem to find people or find a fault that just ruins it for me.

Parents
  • Here’s the thing that annoys me. This isn’t just something that’s a ‘I would like to do this.’ Meeting up with people regularly with a shared interest is literally medically recommended for autistic people.

NICE guidelines cg142 say

1.4.5 For adults with autism without a learning disability or with a mild to moderate learning disability, who are socially isolated or have restricted social contact, consider:

• a group-based structured leisure activity programme
    • an individually delivered structured leisure activity programme for people who find group-based activities difficult.

1.4.6 A structured leisure activity programme should typically include:

• a focus on the interests and abilities of the participant(s)
    • regular meetings for a valued leisure activity
    • for group-based programmes, a facilitator with a broad understanding of autism to help integrate the participants
    • the provision of structure and support.

these group based structured leisure activity programs with “a focus on the interests and abilities of the participant(s)” that’s Basically a special interest club. (Eg your local branch of the Harry Potter fan club) I don’t see what else it could be.

and since there are as many special interests as grains of sand on the shore (so it seems). Your local council can’t just run one and ask all the autistic people to go to it. It needs to be interest specific. Which means autistic people going to clubs run mostly by and for non autistic people.

but as far as I can see the powers that be are keen to do nothing at all in the direction of making sure autistic adults have access to that kind of group.

as far as I can see this guideline isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on because no one is willing to do what it takes to make it workable 

• I think it's a lot to ask of local authorities to run hundreds of special interest groups for everybody with autism, Peter.  There are already hundreds of special interest groups running in every town and every city, organised by both ordinary and extraordinary people. It's up to us to go and find/join them.

And let's be frank, if these groups were run by the council, they'd have to be open to all sorts of weirdos and not-rights. Just because someone is autistic, it doesn't mean I'd want to spend time in their company. They'd be no better than day centres... and I can't think of anything worse than being trapped making finger puppets with a bunch of low-achievers all jabbering on about the latest reality TV show.

It's much healthier to go out and find real-life groups that interest you and that have a diverse membership. Not artificial groups.

• Dear aidie

Please cease and desist from trolling my comments simply to vote them down. It's beginning to feel like harassment.  It's not spiritually good for you, nor will you find in your Buddhist teachings that personal animus towards other beings is considered a skillful action. 

• I'm sorry this is happening. Outright bullying has happened from that person to a few other friends that I've seen & they've left. It's really sad. I've also seen them write "kill" the voices in their head....only to edit/remove that wording later. I think it's a problem, but people are afraid of saying anything--for fear that they become the bully.

The only reason, I can think the moderators haven't done anything about it, is there's a certain amount of "strikes" someone can have & there's nothing stopping them from making multiple/new accounts. I too have been trolled, but I ignore it.

• I'm sorry this is happening. Outright bullying has happened from that person to a few other friends that I've seen & they've left. It's really sad. I've also seen them write "kill" the voices in their head....only to edit/remove that wording later. I think it's a problem, but people are afraid of saying anything--for fear that they become the bully.

The only reason, I can think the moderators haven't done anything about it, is there's a certain amount of "strikes" someone can have & there's nothing stopping them from making multiple/new accounts. I too have been trolled, but I ignore it.

Children
No Data