People saying "I wish you were normal"

First time posting here so I hope I'm doing it right. 

I've noticed a lot recently when my Mum talks to others about me or my brother having Autism people will often say things like "Oh they have something wrong with them" or "If only we could give them normal brains" and I'm standing there feeling like absolute crap cause then I think "Well I'm obviously useless so what's even the point of being Autistic and being alive. Then there's the sympathetic sad looks from people and the" Oh I'm so sorry for you" comments. It just really gets me down sometimes. I'm very proud of my Autism as it makes me who I am but when I hear the comments it's like a punch in the gut. 

Parents
  • I don't mind people saying they wish I was normal. 

• Flint,

From my perspective "normal people" is racism, claiming that there's only one correct way to neurodevelop and every other way needs to be treated and fixed is no different to saying there's only one correct way to develop a culture and any other culture is pathological needing to be treated and fixed.

Viewing anyone's brain as pathological is racism and prejudice from a neurological perspective. 

• Flint,

From my perspective "normal people" is racism, claiming that there's only one correct way to neurodevelop and every other way needs to be treated and fixed is no different to saying there's only one correct way to develop a culture and any other culture is pathological needing to be treated and fixed.

Viewing anyone's brain as pathological is racism and prejudice from a neurological perspective. 

Children
  • Really 'normal' should be replaced with 'what works' as in what is best for a person to 'work' not in an employment sense, but work to function in day to day life. 

Being not 'normal' in the sense of not being like the 'majority of NT's' works for some but certainly doesn't for me. So I don't mind it too much.