Poll: Should this forum be a space for people with autism?

Parents Reply Children
  • Are social untruths the same as deception though? As an autistic woman I feel extremely deceptive when I mask and perform different roles for different audiences, to such an extent that I'm not sure I spend much time actually being myself. Is this not also deception? 

Yes, I'm useless at withholding my honest opinion in many situations, I would rather be honest, but I fear my social behaviour is far more disingenuous than my NT friends. I'm not sure how I could know for sure.

• According to The journal of Applied Behaviour Analysis (among other publications).

(RYAN BERGSTROM & ADEL C. NAJDOWSKI)

Their research and focus is on teaching children with autism to tell socially appropriate lies in order to integrate more effectively into the neurotypical world.

This is not innate or spontaneous behaviour for autistic children. Most autistic children (not all) have difficulty with spontaneous deceptive behaviour. It is something they have to learn from neurotypicals.

Whereas, neurotypical children develop this ability spontaneously and continue to use verbal deception in their interpersonal relationships throughout their lives. They have even modelled language to reflect this.

As a linguist, I can point you to hundreds of studies on this too, if you like?

Have you ever wondered why neurotypicals like to use: to tell you the truth so often in their speech? It's because it's an explicit recognition that any utterance that came before it (and anything that usually comes after it is) has not been the truth.

As an autistic person, this is one of the most bizarre phrases I hear come from NTs mouths. Have you never found that an odd expression for someone to say to you?

To tell you the truth, .....
    Hmm. So up until this point, you've not been telling me the truth?

• According to what source? 

• Deception is predominantly a neurotypical behaviour.

• nothing, but you have to hope that people will be truthful.  I would guess people who had an agenda and lied would soon reveal themselves in some way