Poll: Should this forum be a space for people with autism?

• It could potentially be a good thing you could have an option that allows you to make posts limited to people who are autistic but then there's the question of how would you know who autistic or not because if it's just a simple: are you autistic? Yes/No? there's no way of knowing someone doesn't lie.

You also have the issue of is it the right thing to have little separate discussions happening that other people don't know about, it seems to me that the idea of a forum is that it's supposed to be completely open for everyone to see and decide if they want to interact.

I can see the appeal but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing

• Sorry,

Just thought of these questions that could be put to anyone about this matter.

What would be the benefit of making this forum an autistic only space? Why shouldn't non autistic be allowed to speak on here?

• how would you know who autistic or not because if it's just a simple: are you autistic?

One idea would be that when you join the site, you declare whether you are autistic or not and so whenever you post or comment, your avatar and/or profile indicates whether or not you had autism (diagnosed, undiagnosed, or waiting for assessment). This would at least be a way for autistic members to know whether or not they were interacting with an NT or not. 

I don't know. I suppose the question is: why is the forum on an autistic society website an open one? it doesn't make sense to me that absolutely anyone can become a member. I mean it's not like NT's don't have the whole of cyberspace to play with!

Is it too much to ask for carve a little bit of space for autistic people on a national autistic website? 

• What would be the benefit of making this forum an autistic only space?

The biggest benefit for me would be a retreat, a safe haven away from NT's and the NT world.

Why shouldn't non autistic be allowed to speak on here?

Well, don't they have millions of other forums to visit? Are we not worthy of our own space?   

• Is it too much to ask for carve a little bit of space for autistic people on a national autistic website? 

Given that the National Autistic Society began in the early sixties as a group of parents who sought for better support and campaigned for greater awareness about autism, not to include those who are neurologically typical and atypical would be counterproductive, being that in the terms and conditions of using this website ~ the NAS's stated purpose is:

The purpose of the Community is to provide a safe and supportive forum for people on the autism spectrum, their parents, guardians, family, friends, colleagues, and those working in the field of autism to share experiences, views and opinions.

Basically all the things you request are offered elsewhere, with I imagine the most suitable option for you being perhaps Wrong Planet ~ just possibly.

• All sounds less inclusive to me.    

Don't we also have to respect everyone's bonkers self-declarations of anything these days or be classed as a bigot? 

Today, I'm a bumper-car.  Smiley

• I think it should just be on your profile as suggested in this thread so that you can see if the person posting has identified themselves as being Autistic or not.

• That's fair enough I don't really have an issue with it being open for all or for autistics only but I though the questions should be asked and you're right that NT's have the whole internet to interact with too  and we do too.

As you suggested maybe a separate sub-forum might be nice within the NAS community page where we (autistics) can talk among our selves but for as much as I don't have an issue with the forum being locked for autistics only I don't think that would be the right thing. I haven't been posting here for very long at all but I think that having a space where we can talk to NT's and try to understand there perspective on things whenever they pop up is a good thing and it gives us a chance to help educate the NT population about autism. I've seen a few posts recently posted by I would assume NT people by the way they were written (apart from the one that stated he/she wasn't autistic) and we can help those people as much as we can.

I also saw Aidie I think post that the helpline will be turned off soon and this forum will be the only place for people to ask for support. But yes having something in your profile that people can see on the forum to indicate clearly whether who you're talking to is autistic or not would be good just so you know who's who.

• I think an issue arises in that the description of who the NAS online community is for seems to vary on different websites/web pages.

• You would have to make more forums for looking after autistic adults, and undiagnosed autistic adults. It would just fracture the conversation. I think people can already tell which topics to click on if they don't want to see things from people without a diagnosis.

Edit: Although a separate autistic-only forum as well as this one could be good.