How do you think about things?

I think associatively, deeply and incessantly about everything (when I say everything I meant everything related to the specific thing I like to think about. It was late when I wrote this :) . Its not that I think about knitting, swimming etc :) )  . I . If a topic is deep and meaningful then I feel immensely nourished by thinking about it. It does drain me though and I do it automatically. How do other people on here with official diagnoses of ASD think about things? I can stop thinking, its draining but I do enjoy it. I sometimes think that thinking is the only good thing there is to do in this life. 

Parents
  • As little as possible. I always find that's the best approach. For me, thoughts just happen. There's no need for me to expend any effort consciously conjuring them up or deliberately manipulating them.

• For me I don't have to expend effort doing that consciously it just happens when there is something to think about or analyse. That's why I try to prevent rubbish from triggering that. I have a finite number of thoughts I can have in my life I don't want to waste them bull rubbish. I think that's a side effect potentially of being a strongly associative thinker (which is apparently the most common type of thinking pattern for autistic people).

• For me I don't have to expend effort doing that consciously it just happens when there is something to think about or analyse. That's why I try to prevent rubbish from triggering that. I have a finite number of thoughts I can have in my life I don't want to waste them bull rubbish. I think that's a side effect potentially of being a strongly associative thinker (which is apparently the most common type of thinking pattern for autistic people).

Children
No Data