How do you think about things?

I think associatively, deeply and incessantly about everything (when I say everything I meant everything related to the specific thing I like to think about. It was late when I wrote this :) . Its not that I think about knitting, swimming etc :) )  . I . If a topic is deep and meaningful then I feel immensely nourished by thinking about it. It does drain me though and I do it automatically. How do other people on here with official diagnoses of ASD think about things? I can stop thinking, its draining but I do enjoy it. I sometimes think that thinking is the only good thing there is to do in this life. 

• Yes I'm the same, I could lose myself in a good book or learning about an interesting subject. But due to other constraints I try and leave it to an hour per day. Its something to look forward to! 

• I'm the same but its only really ever been one thing I've done that with.

• I think in very abstract and logical way and I also love to think about things in great detail. When I discover a new topic that interests me I spend days or weeks or months reading absolutely everything I can find about it and forming a huge pattern of information in my head, and I spend endless hours just thinking about it by myself. For me this is deeply satisfying. I want to understand everything.

• Do you have ADHD? It might be that that causes the daydreaming. Thats a comorbidity some autistic people get.

• For me I don't have to expend effort doing that consciously it just happens when there is something to think about or analyse. That's why I try to prevent rubbish from triggering that. I have a finite number of thoughts I can have in my life I don't want to waste them bull rubbish. I think that's a side effect potentially of being a strongly associative thinker (which is apparently the most common type of thinking pattern for autistic people).

• I was a daydreamer my whole life.

• Yes I do too. I have always wanted to learn even from a young boy. I would read and think deeply about most things. I would daydream about lots of things in lessons at school when they were too easy. 

• I do academic degrees and college courses for fun.

I also make a profit from a few of my special interests. I am very lucky to have time to think. 

• As little as possible. I always find that's the best approach. For me, thoughts just happen. There's no need for me to expend any effort consciously conjuring them up or deliberately manipulating them.

• Morals are a very personal thing - another interesting channel of discussion.

Being an aspie, I was programmed very strongly with right and wrong - but as I grew up, I realised my right and wrong are not necessarily the same as anyone else's.

• I would think associatively as well. I'm the type with my head in the clouds, I'll look at random topics that catch my interest, usually about biology, medicine, and therapy type of topics, even though I'm not in those fields myself. 

• You're interacting now... rent free maybe - or not...

Pre-'awareness' I had this brief notion that it was absolutely fine to run phone (text) scams or basically any scam whatsoever on people because they if they were daft enough to fall for it then they didn't deserve to have any money... 

Obviously extremely morally questionable (and I hasten to add I never acted on that notion) but: I have been unaware up until very very recently (and, who knows, perhaps I still am...)

• Smiley

good point - but I didn't interact with them - I was like an invisible alien to them,      Think of it as the beginning scenes of "2001" when the monkeys found the obelisk - fascinating to watch from the distance.

• Watching sport on TV is a relatively passive activity - IE you are not singularly affecting the outcome by watching it.

Presenting observational analysis to the observee is you directly engaging with the programme and thus modifying the results. (Ref. Heisenberg uncertainty principle etc).

?

• I guess you went for a job that you thought you *should* enjoy.

I liken doing observational analysis to be as though I was watching tv - but with much more interesting programmes.  Smiley

• Yes very much the same. Before I can sleep i have around a hour of thinking time where I will go into great depth . I love trying to explain things to people too. I had always been shy as a child and have always been the 'diffrent one' but have found I love public speaking. My autistic obsession lead me to write a couple of local history books and after that I was asked to do some local taks to the historic society, U3A, Wi etc and I love it. I will oftern go through part of one of those talks in my head. It really helps me sleep.

• I always analysed whenever I was younger, and ended up getting nowhere. Nothing I did was ever good enough. I was thrown to the lions in a Government Job in 2004; while suffering from Depression and not taking care of myself.

Nowadays, I utilise.

• Always thinking, checking all the angles , really good in business nothing takes you by surprise.

Recently playing with quantum in relation  to genetic evolution ,but always thinking how living things work .

Have problems with the hypocrisy of the world trying not to think about that, but it always comes back.