How do I tell my parents about my ASD diagnosis?

Hi, I’ve only very recently been diagnosed with ASD (recent as in I received my report today recent). I’m looking for advice on how I should disclose this to my Mum. I’m 22 and originally brought up that I thought I was autistic when I was 14 and she didn’t take it well. I was assessed twice before getting the diagnosis and she doesn’t know that I seeked a second opinion. I’m just looking for advice on how to bring it up.

Parents
  • Sometimes it might be difficult explaining autism to your friends and family. It’s important that you take some time in your own family to process the diagnosis and understand that it is not a debilitating or negative condition. Do some research and educate yourself about autism and its possible symptoms. Once you feel more comfortable with the diagnosis and the future yourself, you can decide what information you feel comfortable sharing with others.

• Sometimes it might be difficult explaining autism to your friends and family. It’s important that you take some time in your own family to process the diagnosis and understand that it is not a debilitating or negative condition. Do some research and educate yourself about autism and its possible symptoms. Once you feel more comfortable with the diagnosis and the future yourself, you can decide what information you feel comfortable sharing with others.

Children
No Data