How do I tell my parents about my ASD diagnosis?

Hi, I’ve only very recently been diagnosed with ASD (recent as in I received my report today recent). I’m looking for advice on how I should disclose this to my Mum. I’m 22 and originally brought up that I thought I was autistic when I was 14 and she didn’t take it well. I was assessed twice before getting the diagnosis and she doesn’t know that I seeked a second opinion. I’m just looking for advice on how to bring it up.

• Sometimes it might be difficult explaining autism to your friends and family. It’s important that you take some time in your own family to process the diagnosis and understand that it is not a debilitating or negative condition. Do some research and educate yourself about autism and its possible symptoms. Once you feel more comfortable with the diagnosis and the future yourself, you can decide what information you feel comfortable sharing with others.

• I agree wit plastic,,,,,,, dont, not for a while. Reason being is that you will be adjusting to your new status and the last thing you need is to have conflict of any type.  

My mum was very defensive of me and would lay into anyone who suggested I was anything but perfect. 

Mums dont want their kids limiting their prospects,,,, thats what mums do.

I would concentrate on becoming the best nurse/support worker ever just a while longer. 

6 months after my diagnosis,,, I told my nephew, who is already diagnosed with ASD, with my sister and other nephews all around the table and my mum was there as well. She didnt want to make a fuss because she was sitting at a meal in someone else house where autism is an everyday thing.

So tell you mum at a meal/event where their are other people with autism also there to explain/show its not that bad a thing really if you are  "high Functioning". It takes management but its doable and possible. 

• Thanks, I’ve had my diagnosis for a month now I just got the official report through today. That’s good advice I just feel like I should be doing something.

• Hello Caiel,

I think you should take your time over this, there is no rush, is there?

Give it a lot of thought, listen to what folk on here say, and I would suggest you tell no one for now. You have to get used to the idea of  being autistic first, there is some difference between  'thinking'  you have ASD and actually having a confirmed diagnosis, as I think you may have realised this morning.  Give yourself a little time, eh!

Ben

• I wouldn't bother saying anything - it will only cause conflict and they probably won't believe you.    It's a fight waiting to happen.