How do I tell my parents about my ASD diagnosis?

Hi, I’ve only very recently been diagnosed with ASD (recent as in I received my report today recent). I’m looking for advice on how I should disclose this to my Mum. I’m 22 and originally brought up that I thought I was autistic when I was 14 and she didn’t take it well. I was assessed twice before getting the diagnosis and she doesn’t know that I seeked a second opinion. I’m just looking for advice on how to bring it up.

Parents
  • Hello Caiel,

I think you should take your time over this, there is no rush, is there?

Give it a lot of thought, listen to what folk on here say, and I would suggest you tell no one for now. You have to get used to the idea of  being autistic first, there is some difference between  'thinking'  you have ASD and actually having a confirmed diagnosis, as I think you may have realised this morning.  Give yourself a little time, eh!

Ben

• Hello Caiel,

I think you should take your time over this, there is no rush, is there?

Give it a lot of thought, listen to what folk on here say, and I would suggest you tell no one for now. You have to get used to the idea of  being autistic first, there is some difference between  'thinking'  you have ASD and actually having a confirmed diagnosis, as I think you may have realised this morning.  Give yourself a little time, eh!

Ben

Children