Website Problems/SO FRUSTRATING *Updated*

For about a week now, I've had major problems trying to access this forum. Either it partially loads, or doesn't load at all. Even when it partially loads, many of the features of the forum don't work. I can't reply to some threads, and the ones I can reply to don't seem to let me edit my posts or use quotes. On top of all that, if I try to load different topics, it freezes. There's no rhyme or reason to the problems, it's completely random - and if I don't give up soon, I'm going to end up pulling out my hair! Does anyone else have these same issues? I don't think I've seen a website so full of glitches and bugs since the early days of the internet.

UPDATE: *I've switched browser from Safari to Chrome and, fingers crossed, a lot of the issues have been resolved.*

Parents
  • Please do comment on whether you're still seeing the issue with missing Reply (etc.) buttons, as we have released a change to address this. We've also addressed issues with the layout of search. We are aware of the PM problem and working to resolve that.

The advice and guidance pages do not require sign-ins, and I have not been able to reproduce that effect. When reporting problems, it can be helpful to mention, as many have done in this thread, the browser and device (Android, iPhone or PC, and Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Edge, etc.) that you are using, as that makes it easier for us to test for problems specific to particular ones of those. In some cases, such as access to advice and guidance, the exact sequence of pages that you followed may also be important.

If this means that information is rather detailed to be relevant in a discussion posting, feel free to email  it to community.manager@nas.org.uk

Hope this helps.

• Nope - exactly the same - once the little window gets filled, all following messages are hidden behind the text entry box and the right hand scroll bar can only move within the window so all following messages are unavailable - and there's no buttons to delete or move any single messages to try to make a shorter list to see the later messages,.

This is on a desktop PC with Firefox.

Also - why are 'vivid' and 'calm' the same?      Why does the top menu bar take 1/4 screen?

I'm using a 22" screen and the active window is only 6" wide with a 2" blank border both sides and the rhs menu is 3" wide - such a terrible screen experience!   Soooooo much dead space.

• Nope - exactly the same - once the little window gets filled, all following messages are hidden behind the text entry box and the right hand scroll bar can only move within the window so all following messages are unavailable - and there's no buttons to delete or move any single messages to try to make a shorter list to see the later messages,.

This is on a desktop PC with Firefox.

Also - why are 'vivid' and 'calm' the same?      Why does the top menu bar take 1/4 screen?

I'm using a 22" screen and the active window is only 6" wide with a 2" blank border both sides and the rhs menu is 3" wide - such a terrible screen experience!   Soooooo much dead space.

Children
  • We have deployed a fix today (12 May) to the private messaging, intended to make the layout easier to use and prevent the editing box from overlaying the existing messages, i.e. the issue set out by  above. Feedback welcome of course.

We will now move on to other issues mentioned here, including the sticky headers, the calm switch, etc.

• Regarding double posting, I've seen that on a range of community sites that I've used, and with various forum software systems. Is there a repeatable process that causes excessive double posts here?

I do not know ~ I just mentioned it in case anyone else wondered why I deleted my previous post and then did another one, as much also for those who use their email notifications primarily.

• Reproduced in FF88 - without the extension. I'm not sure anyone has flagged that before - sorry for not being aware of it. You can see it working normally on the main site (even in FF), of course. Again, I've logged that.

Regarding double posting, I've seen that on a range of community sites that I've used, and with various forum software systems. Is there a repeatable process that causes excessive double posts here? Repeatable processes help in asking developers to investigate, so that they can make the problem happen for testing.

• Is that with the default styles? (White background etc.) Your screenshot elsewhere in this thread shows that you have chosen to use a reversed presentation (black background). There are various ways to do that, and our testing would not be able to include them all.

Please confirm the styles you are using when you see this (also the browser etc. again and any relevant add-ins/extensions controlling your styles).

Yes that is with the default style and with the extension. The browser is Firefox 88.0 and the extension is Dark Background and Light Text.

And I have just had a double posting experience and on deletion of one ~ they both got deleted, hence this one to replace the previous one.

• Is that with the default styles? (White background etc.) Your screenshot elsewhere in this thread shows that you have chosen to use a reversed presentation (black background). There are various ways to do that, and our testing would not be able to include them all.

Please confirm the styles you are using when you see this (also the browser etc. again and any relevant add-ins/extensions controlling your styles).

• Does it help if you turn the switch on and off again (not that you should have to do that)?

Nope ~ turning the switch from Vivid to Calm only effects the appearance of the switch.

• Vivid and calm are not intended to be the same. Is this just on the community site, or also on the main one (e.g. when looking at advice and guidance)? Does it help if you turn the switch on and off again (not that you should have to do that)?

• " active window is only 6" wide  .... thats modern design brought in from above to allow phones to work better

• done so below, u where talking about the PM system. It does have delete buttons BTW for me on windows 10, chrome, edg,e and firefox  laptop

• Please do comment on whether you're still seeing the issue with missing Reply (etc.) buttons,
  • he has just said they are still working on that one